You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

HCV and six pack

Jon......... B-)

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

We arrived safely as Wolf Creek Run RV Resort in Pagosa Springs today after traveling over the mountain 11,500 ft.

I stopped at the office and shut the coach off to pay and disconnect toad. When I came out from paying the rear had sat down on the wheels. That was within 5-10 minutes max. I started up and reached ride height, went to my spot, put out slides, leveled. Within minutes, I noticed the rear had sat down again. I think it is only the right but the left could have been down too. It is raining so I just flattened the coach till I can trouble shoot.

I am wondering if this is 6 pack issue? The lower valve is stuck open? I have Tom’s kits, and have only rebuilt 1 so far. Any tips on troubleshooting?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

Didn’t you just replace governor? You might start there. Are you leaking air from the governor? Look at the pressure gauge...are you at 120 with engine running? Turn off engine and watch the air gauge and see what happens.

(With the key off, the solenoids should hold the air even if you are leaking from the governor)

You said the bags leak down with they key off but they inflate when in travel mode -> eliminates that HCV as an issue.

Crank the coach and go to travel (let bags inflate). Turn key off and go back to the rear six pack with a steel washer. Are ANY solenoids energized? If so you have some sort of controller issue. If you hear air escaping from solenoids...prob a stuck solenoid. Not sure how to figure out which one is stuck. If you think the down solenoid, go into manual level mode and ask someone to hold the down buttons and see which one energizes with your washer.

If you cant hear air from solenoids....listen near the air bags to see if the bags are leaking. (Block and chock coach before you even think about getting under coach).

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

If air pressure is maintained on the dash or rear gauge while shut down with the rear actively sagging then the only valve that can cause the leak down of the bags is the "down" solenoid which you should be able to detect with soap bubbles over the vent on the 6-pack. A leaky "up" solenoid would cause an increase in height as long as pressure in the service tank is higher than bag pressure. The HCV solenoid if leaking should allow only a limited decrease in height until the HCV tries to raise the coach. In this last case, it will stop the drop until leaks in the supply air to the HCV goes below that needed to raise the coach and then those air leaks will cause the coach to drop.

So, noticing the timing of the drop after the key is shut off will help you diagnose where to look for the problem. If it is immediate, then the first defect noted above is more likely, if there is a delay until the service tank pressure drops it could be the later defects noted above.

Air consumption while driving is also a hint at where to look. A leaky HCV solenoid will cause no problems on the road, but can cause problems when parked. If an air bag is leaking you will see higher air consumption on the road. A leaky "down" solenoid will increase air consumption on the road, symptoms similar to a leaky air bag.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Thanks for the replies! We are parked for 30 days, with me working M-F and rain, it may be a few days before I am able to troubleshoot.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

Mike, I pulled this diagram from a HWH publication. 

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

(07-16-2018, 09:50 PM)bestgenman Wrote:  Mike, I pulled this diagram from a HWH publication. 
Thanks Gordon, excellent information!

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

Today, I started the coach and let it air up in travel mode, shutdown the engine then went outside to find the air leak that brought the rear down twice on Sunday. No leak, it held steady in travel, so I leveled, and it has held steady for 4 hours. I suspect a stuck rear lower solenoid that freed itself, and may rear its ugly head another day.

I have the rebuild kits but am hesitant that I could introduce new problems by rebuilding them all at once. I have a spare, I guess I could do 1 at a time and test each before moving to the next. Thoughts?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

these rebuilds are pretty foolproof. i do all 6 when i do them and have never had any problems.

just my 2 cents worth

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

As I somewhat expected, the solenoid that fixed itself also failed again. I replaced it with a rebuilt using one of Tom's Kits, and has been working properly so a couple of days!

Now to the question of do I rebuild the others in the same 6 pack or wait for their failure? I do have a spare already rebuilt, so if I have a failure it is a quick swap. I tend to error on the side of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. However, I also believe strongly in preventative maintenance. So, I am in a conundrum:-)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn