You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

speedometer quit

Larry has one of the first series 60 powered Newells but I believe he has the HT741 and my guess is that it is the ATEC. I have been looking for a manual for the ATEC without success.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

There are many speedometer apps for smartphones available, from free to $2. I've used Ulysse Speedometer before, it even has a HUD.

https://www.androidauthority.com/best-sp...id-789270/

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

Well, if we are discussing alternatives to fixing the existing one, then I have a model that has both visual and audible output modes. It fits in the passenger's seat. If the speed is too high, then the left foot will press on the floorboard at the low alarm setpoint. If you should exceed the high alarm setpoint, the audible alarm will activate. The programmers used a hillbilly Tennessee accent for some reason. I have not found a way to deactivate it.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(10-12-2017, 02:36 PM)Richard Wrote:  Well, if we are discussing alternatives to fixing the existing one, then I have a model that has both visual and audible output modes. It fits in the passenger's seat. If the speed is too high, then the left foot will press on the floorboard at the low alarm setpoint. If you should exceed the high alarm setpoint, the audible alarm will activate. The programmers used a hillbilly Tennessee accent for some reason. I have not found a way to deactivate it.

I have a slightly different passenger side model. My passenger side model makes the pitter patter of feet when exceeding 65 or when passing or being passed by a semi . It will also activate on tight roads or bridges. We both have fitbits, and she will have an extra few hundred steps after a days travel. She seems to average 2.1 miles per step.

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

I have a similar system, but I believe the high limit function has been disabled. The low limit, however sets off a fidgety vibration and barely audible hum.

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

Well, I haven't gotten far on this project as my wife gave me my first ever Surprise Birthday party (80th) this week with many out of town guests, complete with a local singing duet for entertainment. It was a fabulous week. Now, back to business. I have 2 potential buyers but want things to be right before it goes away. Be back with you shortly with more questions I'm sure. Thanks.

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue

(10-12-2017, 02:36 PM)Richard Wrote:  Well, if we are discussing alternatives to fixing the existing one, then I have a model that has both visual and audible output modes. It fits in the passenger's seat. If the speed is too high, then the left foot will press on the floorboard at the low alarm setpoint. If you should exceed the high alarm setpoint, the audible alarm will activate. The programmers used a hillbilly Tennessee accent for some reason. I have not found a way to deactivate it.

Thanks Richard. I had one of those once before and got rid of it! Now I have a newer model and it re-acts the same as the old one but, I'm keeping this one. Too expensive to keep trying new models!

(10-09-2017, 08:12 PM)77newell Wrote:  You likely have the HT741 ATEC transmission, especially if you have the 2-stroke engine. If you can wait a week until I have e access to my ATEC manual I'll be able to tell you if they are related. It's possible they are related.

I do have the HT741 ATEC transmission and I just read my manual. I didn't read anything that would tie the Check Trans light to the speedo head. Maybe I missed something? Would you know where the speedo sensor would be located?

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue

I did find out 1 thing today and that is that I need to get the underside around the engine/tranny area cleaned before I can continue trouble shooting. Do any of your have experience with having the underside cleaned? I don't know what this is but it definitely needs cleaning, it's attached to the tranny!

Larry, looking at http://manuals.chudov.com/M939-Series-Tr...Manual.pdf pages 4 (page 9 of the pdf file) and page 6 (page 11 of the pdf file), it appears that the speedometer sensor is in the tail of the transmission on the side of the HT741 and HT748.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(10-16-2017, 03:56 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Larry, looking at http://manuals.chudov.com/M939-Series-Tr...Manual.pdf pages 4 (page 9 of the pdf file) and page 6 (page 11 of the pdf file), it appears that the speedometer sensor is in the tail of the transmission on the side of the HT741 and HT748.

The only 741 I see is on page 2 Michael but I don't see any sensors in that pic. This is a newer manual than mine!