You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Engine heater

I had a bad switch on my engine heater and the one I pulled out was a momentary switch, I didn’t have another momentary switch so I just used a regular on/off, question is how long do I let the heater run just saying the coach has set for a few days and it’s 25degrees outside ?  Any input would be appreciated.

Smurfy
Coach 184

If it's a typical engine heater it is just a 120V heating element that is in the coolant loop. The switch on my ex-93 on the dashboard for the heater activated a receptacle on the forward bulkhead of the engine compartment where the heater was plugged into. If yours is a momentary switch it may activate a relay. I don't see a problem leaving the heater on for a day.
Was your heater working properly before?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(10-16-2017, 04:24 AM)folivier Wrote:  If it's a typical engine heater it is just a 120V heating element that is in the coolant loop.  The switch on my ex-93 on the dashboard for the heater activated a receptacle on the forward bulkhead of the engine compartment where the heater was plugged into.  If yours is a momentary switch it may activate a relay.  I don't see a problem leaving the heater on for a day.
Was your heater working properly before?

The heater does work, and my receptacle is in the engine compartment and may be operating off a relay, but the switch has 110volts in the dash, I do hear a relay click when I activate the new switch and the only thing I was worried about was leaving it on too long, I’ll try it today for a hour or so and see what happens while I can watch it.  Thanks for the reply

Smurfy
Coach 184

Other than consuming electricity I can't think of any harm that can come from leaving the heater on. In other words, there is no "too long". I've left mine (Forest's 93 coach) on for a couple days when planned departures got delayed.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

My first bus was a PD4501 with a 8V71. When I got it, the PO had replaced some hoses, so it only had water in it. It was getting cold, so I plugged in both block heaters. When it snowed a couple of inches, there was none with in 3 inches of the extension cord. I left it plugged in for 4 weeks - it cost more than $25 per week!

Antifreeze looked cheaper after that power bill !!!!

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740