You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Arrival / departure routine

Hi All, wondering what sort of routine everyone uses for arrival and departure, specifically around levelling and slides.

Trying not to idle any longer than necessary at campgrounds on either end of the visit.

Do you run the engine while leveling or relay on 120V compressor? And for getting back to travel height?

I had a bad relay for my Jun Air which I only recently got replaced, so I have until now run the engine both for leveling and returning to travel height. But this morning before departing I tried to go to travel height with the Jun Air. Ran for about ten to fiteen minutes with the key on, Jun Air on and air gauge showing 70+ PSI. I had hit the travel button (twice because OCD) bit when I went to check the height, the rear was fully down still. Cranked up the engine, went outside and I could visually see the coach rising up off the rear tires. So it seems like the Jun Air was not enough somehow to get to travel height. It is entirely possible too that I have a big enough leak somewhere that the Jun Air cannot supply enough to both the leak(s) and the airbags.

Also noticed at the campsite today that levelling seems to take a long time. I know the HWH cycle will run for up to ten minutes only. This site visually looks fairly level. Of course for all I know it may be a nice place to build a Mystery Spot venue. Ran the leveller with just the Jun Air and came up with Excessive Slope with thw rear still low. Running it again with the engine on and it hit Excess Slope with the left side low this time. I ran the leveller a 2nd (3rd?) tiime and within maybe a minute the HWH declared level.

The other thing that gets me is the slides in travel mode. Park. Put slides out. Run leveller. Wait ten minutes. Excess slope. Now what? Return to travel height (10+ more minutes), bring in the slides, move the coach and try again it all again?

All in all I feel like I am missing something as this feels like a lot more idling than it should be.

Thanks, as always for the collective wisdom!

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

Also meant to include airing up the tires. Maybe it's just new guy syndrome but it takes me a fair amount of time to.top off air. Again, it seems like a long time to idle in a campground especially if we are trying to depart earlyish for a long driving day.

Paul
Coach #540

Paul,

I have two thoughts.... First, airing the tires is something that you should only rarely need to do. Mine may loose a few pounds over months. Any more than that, and you may have a leak. Also, the air doubler system (using engine to air tires) takes a really long time. If you air up during the day, you should not disturb your neighbors too much. Smile

About the leveling. .... The only way that I level (and operate the slides) is with the engine running. Currently, I normally just try to find a fairly level spot, put out the slides and call it a day. (I almost never auto-level). If you are on a level spot, and auto leveling takes a long time, maybe your mercury switch is out of whack. There are quite a number of threads on here about the auto level logic, but in most cases the HWH system will drop the high side(s) until level. If it cannot achieve level at that point, it will try to inflate the low sides. (low is shown with yellow lights on the HWH panel). Some systems are set to run the compressor and bypass the pressure switch while leveling. (Mine does not do that).

You might try your hand at manually leveling the coach (using the keypad in manual mode and a bubble level) and see how long it takes you to achieve level. If you are level according to the 4' level but you have yellow lights on, then your mercury switch probably needs adjustment.

Of course, your milage may vary.

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

We keep in travel mode and put slides out and then auto-level with engine running.  My wife takes care of this while I am out hooking up all the electric, water and sewer.  

If we are leaving VERY early, before the rooster crows, we usually bring all the slides in the night before - we call this "camper mode".

Bringing in the slides we also run the engine.  Fast idle to get the pressure up after we push the travel mode button.  Once the pressure is up we put back into regular idle and bring the slides in.  Again, I am usually out disconnecting the water, sewer and electric while my wife is taking care of this.

Hope this helps,
Oscar

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

when i arrive at a spot i will usually keep it in travel mode, put the slides out, then either auto level or manual level, all with the engine running. that said, in my shop when i am hooked up to shop air, i will put the slides in or out without the engine running with no issues.

when i am getting ready to put the slides in, if i am not on shop air, the only way i am going to get up to ride height is with the engine running. the jun air just doesnt have enough output to do that. i also have to do the take the e brake off to release the weirdness between my tag and drive brake axles.

i will not pull the slides in until i am sure i am at ride height.

without the air doubler, you will not air your tires up.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks everyone. I have read the HWH guide. I guess I was looking for either reassurance that I don't have a choice in running the engine for these operations or tips on how to minimize the idle time. Just trying to minimize our impact on those around us.

Paul
Coach #540

Paul,

A couple of more things to consider. Normally, the aux 120V pump stops at 90 psi. It takes about 90 psi in the airbags to float the coach. Meaning that putting the coach in travel and expecting the aux pump to handle it is going to take a LONG time.

Also, be aware of this. The HWH system has a circuit which Newell uses that bypasses the pressure switch for the aux pump when the HWH system is in level and calling for air. There is supposed to be a pressure relief valve to keep it from going above 120 psi. Before I knew this, I left mine in Autolevel and blew an airbag. I don't bother with the autolevel since I don't particulary like it's logic algorithm. Like Bill, I use the manual buttons and a level on the counter.

One trick, that I learned from another guru @"bestgenman" was to hit the all raise button and raise all four corners of the coach. I use that if the site is sloped badly. I find it the quickest way on slopes.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

i use this most of the time.

tom

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/ite...5XEALw_wcB

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks Richard and Tom. I have to admit, I was shaking my head a bit when I had read the HWH algorithm. The logic of "try this for 10 minutes and then quit" is pretty strange for something that is deterministic to be either possible or not possible. I was curious though about manual leveling - with how slow the bags fill, are you sitting there forever doing so?

Tom, what do you see as the advantage to the EZ Level versus the HWH low side indicator LEDs? Just prevents worry about the HWH level sensor being calibrated?

Paul
Coach #540

I haven't timed it but to deploy the slides and level takes less than ten minutes

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )