You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Officially a new Newell owner

my 90 i believe had similar cabinets up front overhead the dash. i did modify them slightly to fit a larger flatscreen tv in it. i took out the tube tv and did a 32 inch flat screen.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(10-24-2017, 08:47 AM)ccjohnson Wrote:  Caught a glimpse of your coach eastbound on I-10 when we were headed to PHX.  Very nice looking! Keep one thing in mind, "It's only a few minutes to pull off & cool engine at fast idle on a long grade. It's a huge tow bill, bigger overhaul bill, and as long as 2-3 months to reman a cooked 8V92."  I have learned the hard way to pull over & cool engine even when it's only a few hundred yards to the crest.

Small world huh!? Thank you, it is very nice looking Smile. What I have been having an issue with is as to when to find out that it is getting to the red zone, what is it, I've read that some of those gauges take like 5 minutes to keep up with real conditions (having a hard time to understand that) so if that is real I'm done!. I don't have a problem to stop and cool but I need to know WHEN is that point. On my trip home I was looking all the time at the turbo pressure, pyrometer and water temp. The turbo pressure went all the way up a couple of times, the pyrometer I think it never went above 600 for any long period of time and the water temperature never got to 190 (it was close but always came down). I guess that I was lucky and didn't have big climb to do. I've been to NC with my car (Black mountain area) and those are some big climbs so I guess that in those moments is were I really need to pay attention If I go with the coach.

Thanks for the tip, every comment helps.

(10-24-2017, 09:04 AM)whatsnewell Wrote:  Congratulations! You bought a great coach.... remember seeing it at our rally in Creede, CO......in wonderful condition.

Thank you so much! I can't tell what it looked like back then but after some cleaning is looking better already! It is in great shape, I can tell you that.

(10-24-2017, 09:23 AM)encantotom Wrote:  the key on the engine temps is that usually the temp gauge on the dash is not very accurate.  some never have had a problem, but many have.

tom

I've read that, but the thing that I'm having issues with is how do I know that without being paranoid checking the gauges every 5 minutes right now? My plan is to install electronic sensors for as much as I can so I can have some help in the case one of the gauges fails, or if it takes too long to let me know that something is going haywire.

Digi-Panel might be an alternative for now.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

(10-24-2017, 06:23 PM)kyleb Wrote:  While the paint colors are about the same, mine has a bit more sunburn than yours  Sad  

The engine driven A/C compressor  is mounted on the pass side of the engine. I saw it in one of the photos. Mine doesn't work & I haven't checked out why - yet. The condenser is under the coach, behind the front axle.

As for the floor tile - my dad used a groutable vinyl tile. It looks amazing - people don't believe it isn't ceramic. 10 years & it still looks as good as it did the first day.

The colors in mine seem less intense than yours, but they wouldn't have been my first choice either. We love our coach so much that the colors don't bother us as much as I thought they would. On the bright side, they came back in style 20 minutes ago. Too bad they were back out of style 15 minutes ago . . .  Tongue  

At least you don't have faux suede on the dash - I have no idea how to clean it without just replacing it altogether ! ! !

Good luck on the front upper cabinet modifications - that is way more than I want to attempt.

I do have some fading mostly on the front of the coach but that is pretty much it. After I take care of the inside I'll take care of fixing some side scratch that it has and to restore the clear coat that is fading. Then some rim and bender polishing.

I'm curious about those vinyl tiles, were can I get more info? I've been reading that regular tiles will increase the weight considerably so I will need to go with hardwood or vinyl. But read that Tom did tile the bathroom so I will do that and grout with silicon to avoid rigidness if there's any movement on the floor.

No faux suede!

Thank you, I'll send pictures after I do those modifications.

(10-24-2017, 10:40 PM)MrE Wrote:  Beautiful coach, wish my '86 would have been in that pristine shape!

Thank you! But you know what? I love to work on this things, even when it looks great we already came up with a long list of things to update. I guess that the great thing about this coach is that I don't have to concern that much about engine/structural issues and focus and some minor/visual updates.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

(10-25-2017, 09:10 AM)encantotom Wrote:  my 90 i believe had similar cabinets up front overhead the dash.  i did modify them slightly to fit a larger flatscreen tv in it.  i took out the tube tv and did a 32 inch flat screen.  

tom

This one was modified already for a flat TV but finding no insulation in the front cap (right when you open any of those cabinets, you'll see the metallic front cap of the coach) and that is a problem for me and on top of that having so much cabinet space there is useless to us so well modify it a little bit and put back the TV.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

Please don't mention lack of concern for engine issues. Bad Newell- Detroit Diesel JUJU is being invited at the mention of such things.. Smile

Guy & Sue
1984 Classic 40' #59

The local flooring store supplied Dad with all the information for the vinyl groutable floor tile.

I replaced the tube tv with a flat screen & made a slide out shelf under it for the dvd player. Since the new tv is wider, I made a custom hinge & support bar to allow access to the cabinets on either side. Since the space used by the old tv was now available, I modified it to store CD movies.
I used magnetic latches to hold the CD player shelf closed and a rooster latch to keep the tv in the closed position.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

That is nice work Kyle!!!!! I might steal the TV hinge bracket idea.....

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

(10-25-2017, 11:46 AM)Guy Wrote:  Please don't mention lack of concern for engine issues. Bad Newell- Detroit Diesel JUJU is being invited at the mention of such things.. Smile

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

(10-25-2017, 04:57 PM)kyleb Wrote:  The local flooring store supplied Dad with all the information for the vinyl groutable floor tile.

I replaced the tube tv with a flat screen & made a slide out shelf under it for the dvd player. Since the new tv is wider, I made a custom hinge & support bar to allow access to the cabinets on either side. Since the space used by the old tv was now available, I modified it to store CD movies.
I used magnetic latches to hold the CD player shelf closed and a rooster latch to keep the tv in the closed position.

That was a clever way not to modify the existing doors or anything, nice job!

Yesterday I went to Lowes and a local Floor & Decor and got some vinyl flooring. I'm kind of inclining more for the hardwood than for vinyl, it is not that much weight and it is only a couple boxes for the entire driver/sitting area. I think I'll do tile for the bathroom.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

You might want to look at ceramic tile, my wife wants to replace all our bamboo flooring with ceramic tile because of our Australian Shepard that's destroying the bamboo. She saves us daily from the robber, stabber, raper mailman that comes by.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

(10-26-2017, 10:10 PM)MrE Wrote:  You might want to look at ceramic tile, my wife wants to replace all our bamboo flooring with ceramic tile because of our Australian Shepard that's destroying the bamboo. She saves us daily from the robber, stabber, raper mailman that comes by.

That was my first thought but then I started reading and everybody talks about weight (with a good reason) so I'm not so sure anymore. There are areas were I'm really not concerned with that (the bedroom is a VERY small area and won't add up that much weight even if I use conventional tiles) but the drivers area and living room is a considerable area and will add a lot of weight if I go with ceramic tile. I know I can balance a little bit of the weight not filling up the water/diesel tank to be full but still.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)