You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air strut hardware

I need some help, yesterday I wanted to replace an air strut that was not holding up really well and while trying to remove the old air strut I noticed that the "hardware" holding the little round peg, were the air strut end attaches to, was bolted to a piece of wood and that piece of wood was hold in place with 6 screws that go into the metal on the side of the wall. This is not very effective as the force that the air strut applies is very strong so I want to know how's done in newer units and I can mimic that if not I'll need to find a way to make it better.

Attached are pictures of what I have now (one with the wooden block installed and the other one with the wooden block removed)

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

Not trying to be a wise guy, but although it is inelegant, it has worked for 25 years. If you wanted a more robust solution, then just substitute a piece of aluminum for the plywood. Round the corners and it would look right at home.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(10-27-2017, 06:56 AM)Richard Wrote:  Not trying to be a wise guy, but although it is inelegant, it has worked for 25 years. If you wanted a more robust solution, then just substitute a piece of aluminum for the plywood. Round the corners and it would look right at home.
I wasn't sure if this is the original way of doing it or if someone just modified it.

Anyway, the fuel door, the one that must be used the most, didn't hold up as well I was just trying to see if there are better solutions out there.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

Looks like it is mostly a spacer block to get the correct spacing for the arm to clear the gasket. Like Richard said use either aluminum or another dense hardwood, etc. Or you could look for an attachment piece with the correct offset.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337