You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Air compressor

I have coach 599. My 110 air compressor is giving me problems. When outside temps are cold, the compressor will not build pressure; it will run constantly. Any ideas?

Also, my 12v compressor will not kick on at all. In fact, I don't even know where it's located?

Thanks in advance. 
Bryan

Bryan
Ionia, MI
1983 Apollo Sceptre 35' DP

I forgot to say, the engine compressor builds air properly. Also, this problem with the 110 compressor happens only in colder temperatures, like  45 degrees or below.

Bryan
Ionia, MI

We have had the same problem intermittently for years. It seems to have a particular range that it occurs at, 30-45 degrees. Below 30 degrees have not noticed it so much. Also, it is not a constant problem. I used to wake up when compressor would not quit or run was a long time and turn it off with dash switch. In the morning I would run the 8V92 to build air and turn 110V compressor back on. Re-level if any settling had taken place. This usually fixed everything for a few days. The problem was not a constant one. Now we just level coach & turn off HWH system. Then we shut 110V compressor off because we don't need air to operate anything in our older coach. I do remember Tommy Key at Newell talking about a coach that was in with similar issue but I never heard what the resolution was. My personal theory is that a small piece of debris gets stuck in a valve seat somewhere in the system that at a higher temp, the seat is pliable enough that it does not hold it open enough for the leak to be noticeable.

(10-28-2017, 06:49 AM)ccjohnson Wrote:  We have had the same problem intermittently for years.  It seems to have a particular range that it occurs at, 30-45 degrees.  Below 30 degrees have not noticed it so much. Also, it is not a constant problem. I used to wake up when compressor would not quit or run was a long time and turn it off with dash switch. In the morning I would run the 8V92 to build air and turn 110V compressor back on. Re-level if any settling had taken place. This usually fixed everything for a few days. The problem was not a constant one. Now we just level coach & turn off  HWH system.  Then we shut 110V compressor off because we don't need air to operate anything in our older coach. I do remember Tommy Key at Newell talking about a coach that was in with similar issue but I never heard what the resolution was. My personal theory is that a small piece of debris gets stuck in a valve seat somewhere in the system that at a higher temp, the seat is pliable enough that it does not hold it open enough for the leak to be noticeable.
It's currently 37 degrees. I put a small space heater in the compartment with the compressor and the compressor is now working just fine. Could it be a diaphragm or seal of some sort inside the compressor that shrinks when cold???

Bryan
Ionia, MI

It could be a leak anywhere around the compressor. The push fit air connectors are notorious for leaking when it is cold. That is the reason that many of us replace them with compression fittings when the opportunity arises.

The second and harder to pinpoint issue could be that somewhere between the compressor and the well pump switch that controls the on off of the compressor, you may have an orifice. Pushing air through an orifice produces cooling. Around 35 to 40 ambient you could get enough cooling to produce ice. If you have an automatic dump on the water collector, check to make sure it isn't freezing open in cold weather.

If you want to know more about how this happens, look up adiabatic expansion.

Hardest part of diagnosing air problems, is that we don't have any data. We are always guessing. So following @"rheavn" philosophy, pipe in a temp gauge right after the compressor. If it reads pressure when it's cold, the problem is not the compressor. At least you are cutting the problem in half.

The best part of your problem is that it does it consistently.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

One other quick thought, do you have a check valve at compressor discharge? Although this doesn't really affect compressor not building pressure, it does prevent air leakage back through compressor when it it shut down and makes for an easier compressor start up as pistons are not pushing against pressure when starting.

I put a space heater in the compartment where the compressor is for the weekend, and it got us through. I will work on the fix this week at home in the shop. 

So I know, can anyone give me an idea where to look for my 12v compressor?

Bryan
Ionia, MI

most of the 12v compressors are in the aquahot bay on the left hand side of the bay.  mine is kinda behind the aquahot plumbing.  

it is very small and in our vintage usually an upright single cylinder thomas.  

tom

picture of one below.  but it is only as big around as your fist and 8-10 inches long

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(10-29-2017, 10:04 AM)encantotom Wrote:  most of the 12v compressors are in the aquahot bay on the left hand side of the bay.  mine is kinda behind the aquahot plumbing.  

it is very small and in our vintage usually an upright single cylinder thomas.  

tom

picture of one below.  but it is only as big around as your fist and 8-10 inches long

Thank you Tom......I did find it in the Aqua-Hot bay like you said.

Bryan
Ionia, MI

Here's an update and info on my compressor issue:  I ordered a new compressor, an exact replacement for my existing unit.  Here's a link:  http://cfpco.com/Products/Wob-L-Piston-C...44-38.html  Less than $600 buck, I was happy with that. 

Also, a big thanks for this Newell Guru site; it's fantastically helpful.  I hope to be able to contribute with gained knowledge sometime in the future, as y'all are doing now. 

Bryan

Bryan
Ionia, MI