You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Ran out of diesel fuel (#1630)

My new 2017 coach has been stored for about 6 weeks.  It is plugged into a 50A service and I don't know exactly how much fuel I had but if I recall, maybe somewhere around 1/4 tank or slightly less.  I thought I had the aqua hot turned off and my thermostats set at approx 82 degrees so I don't believe the generator had been running.

I just went to the storage to check things and put some items away.  I noticed a tremendous amount black soot inside the storage unit particularly in the back area. (Not inside the coach).  Additionally the diesel fuel tank was completely out!!!!  My assumption is the aqua hot was still running but if you have another thought please tell me.  

Also, when I can put about 10 gallons of fuel in the tank, is there anything special I will need to do in order to start the engine?

Thanks for any help or light you can shed!!!

Gregory

Greg,
Your AquaHot or generator should not be able to run all the fuel out of your coach as their pickups are not supposed to go to the bottom of the fuel tank. They are supposed to run out while you still have +/- a 1/4 tank.

But with that said, you are out of fuel. I would call Newell and get their input BEFORE I try to start the engine. Each engine has its own procedure. The Cummins may be different than my series 60.

Good Luck..................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

(11-03-2017, 05:51 PM)rheavn Wrote:  Greg,
Your AquaHot or generator should not be able to run all the fuel out of your coach as their pickups are not supposed to go to the bottom of the fuel tank.  They are supposed to run out while you still have +/- a 1/4 tank.

But with that said, you are out of fuel.  I would call Newell and get their input BEFORE I try to start the engine.  Each engine has its own procedure.  The Cummins may be different than my series 60.

Good Luck..................

It seemed strange to me that it something was allowed to do that as well.  I plan on calling tomorrow on both issues because I didn't think it should happen and I want their input before I attempt to start the engine as well!!!!

Thanks for your input!

The coach engine was shut down. SO fuel filters SHOULD still have fuel. Put 20 gallons in coach tank and it should start. When it starts, give about 1/2 throttle until its running smooth.
Aqua-Hot filters will be empty, remove and fill with fuel  

good luck

George

Georgeb
Coach 385
Toad Mini Cooper 

(11-04-2017, 06:45 AM)Georgeb Wrote:  The coach engine was shut down. SO fuel filters SHOULD still have fuel. Put 20 gallons in coach tank and it should start. When it starts, give about 1/2 throttle until its running smooth.
Aqua-Hot filters will be empty, remove and fill with fuel  

good luck

George

I started thinking last night the exact same thing so I plan on getting some fuel and doing just that.  I am calling Newel on Monday to find out why the AquaHot was allowed to do that but at least its all beginning to make sense.  It also is a reminder that I need to create a check list of things to check before any storageSmile

Thanks for your comments.

Best,
Gregory

It might be that your fuel gauge is a tad off. With that said, possibly the fuel pick up for Aquahot system may be at a higher level in the tank than the engine fuel pick up. If that is the case, the Aquahot system would run dry while still leaving a bit of fuel in the tank for engine to start & run. But, I would still put 10 - 20 gallons of fuel in before starting just in case. Newell can let you know if they always plumb Aquahot system like this for sure or not. Especially or newer models. You might manually "stick" the tank to see if it is completely dry .

I carry a transparent small diameter flexible tube with a weight on one end. I drop the weighted end in the tank, put my thumb over the top end to seal it then pull it out and I can see the fuel height left in the tank, I then release the thumb and the fuel in the tube drains back into the tank. My fuel gauge is no a reliable indicator.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

When I noticed the problem, I was trying to start the engine and there was nothing, that was what made me look at the system gauges and noticed the fuel showed empty with an exclamation mark on the screen. The engine would not even crank but I assumed with a completely dry tank, there must be some sort of safety lock to keep it from starting. All other batteries are fully charged and it is still plugged in so fuel seemed to be the only reason the engine would not crank.

Gregory, does your coach have an auto generator start? Is it possible that the storage power went out and your generator auto started?

Those with generator auto start, does it have an auto shutdown too?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

My auto start can be set to start based on interior temperature or house batt voltage. If I remember right it starts and runs for 2 hours (run time can be adjusted), shuts down and cycles again as needed.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.