You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Safe-t-plus, anybody?

(11-08-2017, 07:43 PM)Guy Wrote:  A great source for RV tire information is Roger Marble ,  rvtiresafety.net, or he will respond direcly at [email protected].
He was a tire engineer for 40 years.

That is really helpful! Thank you so much for sharing that information

(11-08-2017, 06:07 PM)kyleb Wrote:  
(11-07-2017, 06:28 AM)Floridian Wrote:  Thank you for the video. I've read some people here in the forum having blow outs and they said that it was really scary, not sure if it'll work out to keep it calm in that situation while you have your family up there and remember to speed up when your brain is sending stop signals, I've also seen this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LkLeljt4t0 and from his stop lights he didn't apply the break but still lost control.

I don't have a TPMS system yet and I think that it will be a great start as long as I can get a good system that works reliably, thanks for the pointer.

Looked to me like the driver over corrected the RV - But who knows what damage was done after he left the pavement.

I've had several blowouts ( This was before I realized the importance of tire age. EACH one was a tire over 6 years old !)
Never scary, but I was annoyed!  Rolleyes  & sometimes really mad  Tongue
My method was to 'chase' the direction the vehicle wanted to go & to make small changes & see what happened before making another. Time seemed to slow down - from blow out to stopped was 15 seconds or less, but seemed like 15 minutes.  Cool

Several? I can't stand the thought of one! Smile

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

After closer look at video, it appears that the tow vehicle may have been the "oversteering" problem. It seemed to be pushing rear of coach sideways. That can be a real problem if the front of the back vehicle is heavier than the rear of the front vehicle.

Juan,

I have spent a lot of time fooling with the suspension/front end of coaches trying to get them to handle like BMWs. Many of the gurus are secretly and perversely entertained by my OCD behavior on steering.

Since this is your first coach, you probably don't have any reference point to determine if you have really bad handling or that's as good as it gets.

I live close enough for a day trip. We should get together after the holidays, and let me take a ride with you. It might help you to determine what needs to be done to the front end.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

My wife took a course from Foretravel and they recommended ACCELERATING when a blowout occurs (like you are going to remember to do that as you are panicking). NO braking! Braking will cause you to lose control. Not sure if this applies to coaches with Anti-lock brakes but I’m pretty sure the coaches they trained in had ALBrakes, independent front suspension, etc. I have never had a blowout but also have never had tires over 7 years old (or even two years old!) we always end up selling the coaches too quickly!

Karen & Adrian Abshire 
1998 2 slide 45' Newell Coach 498 
Prior: 1985 Foretravel ORED 35, 1988 38' Foretravel U280, 2000 Foretravel 42' U320, 1990 Bluebird Wanderlodge WB40

(11-06-2017, 05:20 PM)Richard Wrote:  I installed one on another brand of motorhome. It did not help the handling. It did mute the effort and feel at the steering wheel. I removed it after a short time.

I had the same experience on my 1989 Vogue (Crown Bus Chassis).  I also removed it after a couple months.

Bryan
Ionia, MI
1983 Apollo Sceptre 35' DP

(11-09-2017, 06:03 PM)pairodice Wrote:  My wife took a course from Foretravel and they recommended ACCELERATING when a blowout occurs (like you are going to remember to do that as you are panicking).  NO braking!  Braking will cause you to lose control.  Not sure if this applies to coaches with Anti-lock brakes but I’m pretty sure the coaches they trained in had ALBrakes, independent front suspension, etc.  I have never had a blowout but also have never had tires over 7 years old (or even two years old!) we always end up selling the coaches too quickly!

I can tell you from first hand experience that a front blow out makes the handling feel very loose - braking makes it exponentially worse. Accelerating reduces the effects more than anything else you can do.
You only accelerate for a few seconds to regain a sense of what is happening & get back in control of the direction you are going. As you ease off the accelerator, you will notice that you have to add a LOT more correction to the steering wheel than you would have ever imagined. As you back off the throttle, you should get a feel of how slowly to apply the brakes.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

(11-09-2017, 05:51 PM)Richard Wrote:  Juan,

I have spent a lot of time fooling with the suspension/front end of coaches trying to get them to handle like BMWs. Many of the gurus are secretly and perversely entertained by my OCD behavior on steering.

Since this is your first coach, you probably don't have any reference point to determine if you have really bad handling or that's as good as it gets.

I live close enough for a day trip. We should get together after the holidays, and let me take a ride with you. It might help you to determine what needs to be done to the front end.

You are ABSOLUTELY right, I've been thinking about this on the trip to Camp Gulf (Destin) we took this weekend. I think I've had a lot of wind and nervousness when I drove it home for the first time because this time it wasn't as bad as I remembered, now I have 18 wheeler's pass right next to me and I don't feel that I have to move the coach at all Smile  I would LOVE to take you on that offer, that will confirm my suspicions Smile

(11-09-2017, 06:03 PM)pairodice Wrote:  My wife took a course from Foretravel and they recommended ACCELERATING when a blowout occurs (like you are going to remember to do that as you are panicking). 

Exactly!

(11-10-2017, 02:17 PM)kyleb Wrote:  I can tell you from first hand experience that a front blow out makes the handling feel very loose - braking makes it exponentially worse. Accelerating reduces the effects more than anything else you can do.
You only accelerate for a few seconds to regain a sense of what is happening & get back in control of the direction you are going. As you ease off the accelerator, you will notice that you have to add a LOT more correction to the steering wheel than you would have ever imagined. As you back off the throttle, you should get a feel of how slowly to apply the brakes.

If ever in that situation I hope I can remember to do this. I really do.

(11-10-2017, 08:47 AM)bryguymi Wrote:  
(11-06-2017, 05:20 PM)Richard Wrote:  I installed one on another brand of motorhome. It did not help the handling. It did mute the effort and feel at the steering wheel. I removed it after a short time.

I had the same experience on my 1989 Vogue (Crown Bus Chassis).  I also removed it after a couple months.

Thanks for sharing your experience as well.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)