You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Cleaning motorized blinds

Hi all, 

I’m guessing many of you have blinds similar to mine; the manufacturer is Somfy, they are motorized fabric horizontal blinds.  I’ll post a picture below. 

Occasionally, specks of dirt or (God forbid) dead bugs/flies get trapped inside the blinds.  In our six months of owning the coach, we’ve just kind of learned to live with it. Until today; that was my project. Long story short, I brought an air hose inside the coach and thought I’d give that a try. It works absolutely perfect. With about 30 pounds of air,  you can start in the middle of the shade and blow the particles out to either side.  It worked absolutely perfect! And I was surprised at how much stuff was actually trapped in each blind when I started looking at them in detail. 

Bryan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bryan
Ionia, MI
1983 Apollo Sceptre 35' DP

I am going to give this a try, thanks! Do you have any stains? If so, what have you tried on those?

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

(11-11-2017, 05:07 PM)Land Yacht Wrote:  I am going to give this a try, thanks! Do you have any stains? If so, what have you tried on those?

Just one little stain that I think was a bug, and it washed but dd with a wet wrag.

Bryan
Ionia, MI

Several of ours are really stained. Looks like water stains, condensation I suspect

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

If you don't have access to an air hose this might work:

https://www.amazon.com/CRC-Duster-Moistu...ressed+air

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Those are Hunter Douglas Silhouette blinds. Somfy makes the motor. (Actually they make pretty much all the drives for all motorized blinds).

I had the same problem including bad stains. I ended up replacing my blinds with MCD blinds. I had factory do installation in Fairview, TX. (just north of dallas).

MCD put in dual roller blinds. (Daylight which is kinda like a dark mesh, and night shades which are truly opaque). I could not be happier, especially with the night shades. I can make the entire coach almost light proof and that keeps my dog from waking up with the sunrise. (win-win).

Thanks for the technique on the cleaning!....but if you get tired of having to maintain the blinds, you guys might want to consider MCD.

Cheers,
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

My friend was having a problem with his MCD blinds and asked for my help. I ended up calling the company direct . They were very helpful....Good folks!

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

(11-12-2017, 06:28 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  Those are Hunter Douglas Silhouette blinds.  Somfy makes the motor.  (Actually they make pretty much all the drives for all motorized blinds).

Thank you, Bill, for the schooling on the blinds vs motor manufacturer.  That might help out in the future.  Smile

Bryan

Bryan
Ionia, MI

(11-11-2017, 05:07 PM)Land Yacht Wrote:  I am going to give this a try, thanks! Do you have any stains? If so, what have you tried on those?

Just one little stain that I think was a bug, and it washed but dd with a wet wrag.

Bryan
Ionia, MI

I'd appreciate any experience a guru has disconnecting a Hunter Douglas Silhouette shade from it's power source. Now that we're living in the coach for a few months it's become apparent that we need to clean the Hunter Douglas Silhouette shades.  Blowing the dust out isn't an option.  I'm sneezing enough already. The shades have easy to reach metal retention clips which when pushed up allow the frame to separate from the mounting bracket.  Then comes the question how to disconnect the wiring from the motor tucked way up in that recessed location.

Sandy and Bob McBratney
Previous owners of 2007 Newell #1202  "Boomer"