You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Checking tire pressures

One of the reasons that I run a few pounds over the inflation table recommendation is so I will not be in a position that if the temperature or elevation changes result in lower pressure that I am still within the minimum recommended inflation for the load I am carrying on each axle. I would rather be a few pounds over-inflated than a few pounds under-inflated. Your mileage may vary.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

when i took my coach to get emissions checked monday, the tpms system beeped saying my front left tire was 20lbs low. i checked it and put it to the right pressure. it was a little low but not that much. i drove a mile and it beeped again. i checked it with my gauge and it was fine at 115psi and the tpms still showed 99lbs. i turned it off

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I would be really interested to know 2 things.

1) For a given carried weight on a tire, how much variation in "cold" air pressure does the manufacturer expect before they would recommend making a pressure adjustment. Obviously they aren't taking their inflation tables literally, if they did we could never drive anrwhere, we would be too busy checking tire pressures.

2) How repatably reliable are TPMS's. What Tom just reported would drive me nuts. I don't require that all sensors read the same when at the same pressure, but I would go nuts if the same pressure is reported different at different times. In that case I would soon start ignoring the thing, perhaps to my detriment.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

(11-16-2017, 08:02 AM)folivier Wrote:  I think the problem with adjusting tire pressures due to either temp or altitude comes with where are you going?  Are you staying at the same altitude for a day or more of driving?  Or will the temperature rise to 80 or higher while driving?
I've never adjusted my pressures due to altitude or temp and have found low pressures would climb to the acceptable ranges after an hour or so of driving.  But if I had raised the press then they could be over inflated once they warm up or I descend to a lower altitude.  These are all readings using a TPMS.
Richard has a good idea to compare axles, just be aware if the sun is warming up the tires on one side the pressure may be higher due to the increased temp.

Same for me Forest!

Clarke and Elaine Hockwald
1982 Newell Classic, 36', 6V92 TA
2001 VW Beetle Turbo
Cannondale Tandem
Cannondale Bad Boy
Haibike SDURO MTB
http://whatsnewell.blogspot.com