You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Clogged fuel filter

So I found the filters and cut them open. The longer one is located on the engine compartment wall and the shhorter one is mounted at the engine.
I assume that is the correct order but not sure. Can anyone verify that? Any way that is how these were. No sure what color they should be. I tried wiping with paper towel and nothing got on the towel but some fuel. Not sure why the longer one has a lighter section, that is not sunlight on the filter.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Brad,
Try slicing in open with a cut parallel to the ends.
Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Will do tomorrow. What am I looking for?

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

You need to look at the "dirty" side of the filter to see what may have stopped it up.   It might look something like this:

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

Russ: Now those are dirty filters.
As you can see mine are not like yours. Just blackish.
Wondering if they should be amber like the color of diesel fuel.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Brad,

I just posted some pics from the net of dirty diesel filters - thankfully not mine.
Yours look to me like you may have an algae problem. But I am not the expert. I hope others will look and offer their opinion. Definitely clogged with something, but I guess you already knew that.
Russ

Russ White
#530  ( Sold )

Looks like the algae I picked up last summer. I used a biocide and changed the filters out 3 times to get it cleared.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael: aprox how many miles between changes or did you drive till you noticed a difference in power.
What was the biocide you used?

Thanks

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

I was changing my filters about every 800-1000 miles. I think I used Biobor JF Diesel Fuel Biocide.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

So I drained a gallon of fuel from the bottom of both tanks with very little debris coming out so I am leaning to the clogged filters just stuff probably being cleaned from the ultra low diesel and or bio diesel. I will definitely be carrying extra filters.

I also use the JF Diesel fuel biocide, I read that it is what the Coast Guard uses so i figured it must be good.
Does anyone know which filter attaches to the motor and which goes on the wall? I am not sure If I have it right. The dirtiest filter was the one on the motor.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.