You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Clogged fuel filter

My 8V92 uses a Luber-finer LFP816FN (secondary) filter mounted on the engine and a LFP815FN (Primary) mounted on the firewall. The secondary will clog up much faster as it is a finer filter.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks Michael for confirming.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
25 ft Haulmark car hauler with Andersen Anti sway
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

One more thing.
I would like to remove the what used to be clear bowls on the water separators so as to clean them as they are black. They are plastic with tabs around the outside as if for a spanner wrench. I tried a strap wrench and it would not budge. Is there a special tool for this?

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Can you post a pic?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Racor has a special plastic wrench that fits the fins on their clear filter bowls. One wrench fits all sizes of their filters. I use one to change R12T filters used on many Foretravel Aqua Hot heaters.

Rudy Legett
2003 Foretravel U320 4010
ISM11 450 hp Allison 4000R
Factory Authorized Aqua Hot Repair Center
Southeast Texas Area

Just ordered one, Thanks Rudy.
Richard if you still want a pic I will get one for you.

1988 40 ft 8v92 newell
Coach name Big Blue
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser.

Nope, that's good. I didn't know if you had the Racor filter or something else.

You might try heating the threaded piece with a hair dryer to help loosen it up. Sometimes heat or a couple of heat cycles can break threaded connection loose.

I know that it takes a LOT of force to break mine loose. Heavy duty strap wrench and careful attention to where your hands will land when it gives are the order of the day.

On mine, the wrench will not work because the filter assembly is mounted hard up against the bulkhead. Only a strap wrench will work (demonstrated recently at Speedco, they were impressed when I had to take it loose for them).

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

My boss has a 2005 Newell with a Detroit diesel. While driving from Ohio to fla the Motor coach started Blowing a white smoke with a blue tinge. It started losing power on the hills. Took me 50 minutes to go 9 miles. Called a roadside mechanic out He looked at the plastic housing. The filter is located in and it was totally full to the top of fuel. He said the fuel filter was clogged replaced fuel filter, made it to Sarasota, Florida, and fuel filter housing was completely full again. My boss put fuel additive in prior to me, leaving prior to me leaving and I also fueled up at our shop which Leiden puts fuel additive in their fuel to keep it from gelling. Would that have caused the fuel filter to get plugged up.

(11-08-2023, 01:13 PM)ddc4668 Wrote:  My boss has a 2005 Newell with a Detroit diesel. While driving from Ohio to fla the Motor coach started Blowing a white smoke with a blue tinge. It started losing power on the hills. Took me 50 minutes to go 9 miles. Called a roadside mechanic out He looked at the plastic housing. The filter is located in and it was totally full to the top of fuel. He said the fuel filter was clogged replaced fuel filter, made it to Sarasota, Florida, and fuel filter housing was completely full again. My boss put fuel additive in prior to me, leaving prior to me leaving and I also fueled up at our shop which Leiden puts fuel additive in their fuel to keep it from gelling. Would that have caused the fuel filter to get plugged up.

Is the filter turning black? I would not think any additive would cause this, gelling fuel could but it’s got to be pretty darn cold for fuel to gel up. I would say you most likely have some sort of growth in the tank. I like to run BioBor additive that kills the growth in the tank.

Jeff LoGiudice
Temple Terrace, Fl
1984 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40
1998 Newell 2000 #490
1986 MCI/TMC 102A3 (sold)

Ditto on the Biobor....we have used it on aircraft fuel tanks prior to opening up the tanks for inspections. On precautions, it is some bad stuff so PPE is in order.

On a more related to Newell's note. I had to replace my fuel tank (I documented and posted the details her) several years ago. When I pulled the sump plug I intentionally captured the first gallon or so in a clean bucket....there was absolutely no water, debris or clumps in my fuel.....after some 21 years. In fact, when I inspected the tank it was clean as a pin. You can pull the sump plug it will be a mess but i can be done.

Steve & Doris Denton
45' Newell #525, Bath & Half
2014 Honda CRV Toad
Summerfield, FL