You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Bennett shift indicator

Gentlemen , your replies are appreciated . I have also gotten a reply from TH Anderson outlining the test procedure described by Michael . Here's my findings up to now : Multi pin AMP connector at transmission is in bad shape , locking ring not working , connector has dirt , etc inside ,some pins corroded . Cable has been spliced on harness side , about 18" upstream . Connections are correct as to color using butt connectors . I prefer solder connections , but the connectors look to be crimped well , bad tape job rather than shrink tubing. The shift rod has a braided ground cable , ground integrity good . With trans shifter unit cover removed tried grounding the terminals one at a time , yielded weird result , two or three LEDs would illuminate at varying intensity with switch off .
At the front , the cable has been cut into on the harness side and there is an extra white wire coming up (outside cable ) and going directly into the shift panel for switch and bus for lights. This wire is hot at all times . On the indicator panel side there are three wires that have been cut even with cable insulation , white , black /white , blue . Presume same cable used on 5 and 6 speed applications.
Harness side connector ( cockpit ) has one pin that has 12v at all times using digital meter . If this pin is probed with test light , I hear a click under dash , then there is no voltage present on the pin or the extra wire . I can turn the key switch to on and power is restored . I think this may be one of the relays in the neutral start safety system .
I have bench tested the indicator panel through it's cable and all lights work correctly . Next move will be to cut the splice at the back and test the wiring there before replacing the connector . Thinking of going with 12 pin Deutsche connectors . I am concerned about the " rigging" on the wiring , wonder if someone has tried to defeat the safety system .
Apologies for going long and Thank You all very much ,
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Good detective work Chris. Looks like you are headed in the right direction.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Shifter saga update..
Replaced the neutral and drive contacts as well as contact pins in the transmission shifter station . Made a new cable and replaced the AMP connector with new Deutsche connectors . Up front , found the relays for the neutral start mounted on the front metal panel below dash . The white and yellow wires come from the red (switched hot) wires from relay . The relay was " latched " causing the wires to be hot at all times.  Disconnected relays,  reconnected and now the wires only have power with switch on and neutral light comes on as it should . Shifter is hydraulic,  will test other position light when engine is running . I now believe the white and yellow wires were installed when coach was built , there is no other way for the shifter to be powered . Thanks to Gurus and T.A. Anderson for support .
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

TA Anderson is a GREAT man. A true pleasure to deal with.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740