You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Side panel removal in front slide

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone knows how the front facing panel is mounted in the front driver's side slide. The plastic catch that holds the sliding window shade in place is not catching and of course it is far up in the corner out of reach to replace without removing the panel.

I had the side section of the phantom wall out last night to fix a broken cellular blind string and found a single screw holding the back edge in place. I suspect that I need to remove the top valance from the slide but was looking for some guidance before going through that effort. I'm hoping that I don't have to remove the couch as well, but not holding my breath on that one. I suspect there's probably at least one more screw back behind the couch arm rest.

Unfortunately, the dog has not offered any assistance in this effort. And the wife is not a huge fan of the shelf-paper-as-window-shade mod even though it does provide some nice exterior color.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

If I remember correctly....Not easy....the whole window valance behind ( above) the couch has to come out. You also need to remove the couch...not an easy job....careful with the left side and upper trim panels. You will then see some screws in the leather trim panel on the edge covered by the valance that is behind the couch. Those have to come out.

Then take the window shade out and look for silver screw heads in the black felt on both uprights of the window, left and right. There are vertical wood strips screwed into the wall behind and the leather trim panel attaches to those strips on both sides of the window. Once the screws are removed, you can pull towards the interior of the slide the leather trim panel to "disengage" the panel from the wall and vertical strips...should be able to remove it with the couch out of the way. It does not slide out if you think you can do it without removing the couch and the adjacent valance.....

MG

i have taken mine totally out and repaired that same latch. i also remade the wood slide out of oak instead of the pine newell used.

i did not have to take the couch out.

at least on mine....

if i remember right. i had to take the long overhead valence off first. then move the slide in far enough to get at the back of that front covered panel. there are a bunch of screws that are through a metal plate. take all of those out.

then...i got underneath the couch through the drawer area. there were screws holding that panel onto the wall. and maybe a few bolts...its been a long time

eventually you can slide it out.

but as we all know, no two newells are the same

it is always and adventure

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks Tom and Marius. These are more or less what I suspected, but was looking for some validation before I take it on. Thankfully, Tom, I still have that side of the latch -- you had given me two of them for the generator blower door and I only needed the male sides.

Paul
Coach #540

Tom's experience matches mine. I have been there and done that. The couch does not have to be removed ( coach #530 ). The panel over the slide window was very tight even after all the fasteners were removed. Once you do this job you will be very careful in the future to not just slam the shade into the up position. You will move it up slowly and when it contacts the latch, push it the rest of the way. This design was not one of Newell's better moments. Russ - I can dig up pictures if you want.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Thanks Russ, no need to spend time digging up pictures, I think I've got a pretty good idea. Thanks all!

Paul
Coach #540

on mine, the wood that the panel slides up and down in was splintered and was pine. i remade it with hard oak.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Found some pics.  I bet many of us have had the experience with those latches where the fixed portion will snap into the locked position without the moveable portion being held in place.   Once that happens, you must pry open the latch to the other position so it will catch the door/drawer next time you close it.  The stupid looking "tool" in one pic was what worked for me to reach up and open the latch when the shade closed it without getting locked.  Sure beat pulling out the wall again.   I suspect there is enough play in the wooden tracks that it allows this to occasionally happen.  Once I replaced the broken latch, over time I have developed a method of going slow and haven't had a problem for a long time.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Thanks Russ. I originally thought that the latch was just in the latched position without the shade being up but after I rigged up a similar tool, I found that the latch was moveable with no resistance.

Paul
Coach #540