You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

slideout seal air source

Hi all,

Got the 1997 coach #440 not too long ago. It has only one front slideout.
I have a little experience with these buses by now since I have worked a lot on 551 but ended up having to sell it to sort out some family obligations.

On the 551 with dual slides, the 12v compressor lower pressure circuit was feeding the toilets, doors and both slide seals. The 110V compressor would come on as needed  to keep the bus level and also feeds into the 12v air system via a check valve to give air to the rest of the coach. If the 110v compressor is shut off, when the pressure got under 50 psi or lower, the 12v Compressor would come on to keep the low pressure system full but no air would go to airbags or dump valves, generator slide etc.

On this 440, the seal around the slide is fed only from the main supply air or 110V compressor.

I want to change it and add an additional feed of air from the 12v circuit as well so that I don't have to keep the 110V compressor turned on.

I am chasing leaks like everybody. The supply side looses air fast, I can hear a leak behind the driver wheel, will look into the brake chamber and the airbag. Scheduled to change all front airbags, all 3 leveling valves and the check valves on top of the front air tanks. Rebuilt the ARO dump valves, no leaks on the 6 packs. The 110v compressor is new but I don't see a one-way check valve on the air line and I may be leaking backwards through the head.  Will sort it out and add a water/air separator with a moisture dump valve.....Surprised it does not have one... early coach I guess.

The seal deflates in an hour after the supply side goes to zero.... so I think the small regulator needs to be looked at closely for leaks and the check valve....hopefully I don't have a hole in the seal itself....

I know that the 110v compressor feeds the airbags but I don't need that because this coach was the FMCA show unit and they put dual Automatic Hydraulic and air leveling systems- I have 4 massive hydraulic jacks....I can lift the bus off the ground and spin the wheels...love it.

When set up, I would level with the jacks and don't care if the airbags go empty since they are not holding up the bus. There is no other need for higher pressure air except the dump valve and for that I can turn the compressor on to make 50 psi and then shut it off.

So....I would appreciate some insight from somebody, anybody that can or has looked at the air feed system for the slideout seals and how the 110V high pressure feed system ties with the 12V compressor circuit and feed proper pressures to all components. I do not remember how the dual air feed was on the 551.

Thank you.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

MG

"So....I would appreciate some insight from somebody, anybody that can or has looked at the air feed system for the slideout seals and how the 110V high pressure feed system ties with the 12V compressor circuit and feed proper pressures to all components. I do not remember how the dual air feed was on the 551."

Hopefully this answers your question.............................

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=2674

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thank you Steve. I will see how mine is and what I can do reroute some pipes.

MG

(12-02-2017, 06:24 PM)Steve , what is the RE6 in the diagram under the 12v air pump ? I assume it is the regulator to keep pressure at 45-50 for the toilets and air doors....#1 and #3 are regular T fittings ? is there a check valve before the slide seal regulators on the 1/4" line in your bus ?rheavn Wrote:  "So....I would appreciate some insight from somebody, anybody that can or has looked at the air feed system for the slideout seals and how the 110V high pressure feed system ties with the 12V compressor circuit and feed proper pressures to all components. I do not remember how the dual air feed was on the 551."

Hopefully this answers your question.............................

http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=2674

MG

"what is the RE6 in the diagram under the 12v air pump ?"

That is REG for regulator.

"I assume it is the regulator to keep pressure at 45-50 for the toilets and air doors"

Yes

"#1 and #3 are regular T fittings ?"

Yes.  They are brass

"is there a check valve before the slide seal regulators on the 1/4" line in your bus ?"

No

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thank you

MG