You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New problem with air brake pedal leak

Is air coming out of the brake body or the air line you disconnected ? If air line install temporary cap on line to build pressure. 3/8 compression fitting and blind cap available at any hardware store

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

les, did that fitting snap off and break when you tried to remove it? is that the issue?

from looking at the picture it is hard to tell.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Well we got the 12v compressor to work late last night! after blowing up 10 & 15a fuse , I put 20a and it strted to work. I have no idea how long or if ever last owner use it? also after several hrs , somhow it build up planty air and we were able to use air dump valve.

After that brass nut broke off , air escaped from cilinder hole ( not from the hose ) i could not plug it anyway. if you turn on 110v compressor air will circulate trough brake cilinder and eventually starts to come out of the hole.
the nut supports the smallest size hose 1/4" there is one other 1/4" hose above thsi one and 2 more just behaind one is black and another red larger hose.

I am worry removing entire cilinder since there are several air lines attched to it, what happen if I take it out & and hope my parking air brake is not somehow attached to it , we are parking quite high and is good size slope down the hill.

Is nayone would know if those treads could be reverse treading ? I am trying to loose by turning easy out tool by turning cuntercloack wise

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Fulltime on the road hub base in Montana

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
security system 2 Rhodesians Ridgebacks (Basha & M'Kala)
Nissan Exterra 2007
Co-Motion "Robusta" tandem
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Les, your air brakes are designed to hold with no air pressure. Big springs activate the brakes and your air pressure opens the springs to allow you to move. The air brake works by releasing air on the brake cylinder when you press brakes. So with no air you ain't going nowhere.
On the easy out it has a reverse thread so when you unscrew (counterclockwise) the threads bite into the fitting to unscrew it. Did you tap the easy out into the fitting? It needs to be pretty tight before you start turning it.
Also a standard ratchet should fit on the end of the easy out, make it a lot easier.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Hello,
talking with Ron S, via phone and he cant not beilve thsi nut ( brass fitting is so hard to turn )

yes, I am fallowing intructions ( I used easy outs before with triangle shape ) thsi one is more like dive bit type ) you turn cunterclockwise and bites in to the hole and you should be able to get it loose.

I did move the gas pedal out of the way , use good size vise grip, since i tried sockets and six side wont foit on sqare type tip of teh easy out tool!
there is sealer paste ( sand color ) on the treads and looks like hard stuff, I hope is only air type sealer not lactie type.

I purchased good quality easy out set ( made out of Cr-moly steel ) so it should not break, every time I try it wont slip but starts to twist bit !

I am using 1/4" size since I can get about 3/4" tapping it in the hole, hole is about 1,5" before you hit solid side.

The fitting brass nut just snapped off when I wanted to get it loose! I noticed there is 4 diferent style hose fitting there ! looks like someone replaced some before! Problem was, it was leaking air right at the end of it and I was thinking you just loosen it and replace entire unit as someone sugested.
I hope I can get this work, we are here only 8 more days and need to hit the road!

Ron asked me to look at teh dash and see what the air suplay is reading and its 45 psi and the break gauge is reading red needle at 0 psi and white at 60psi, he thinks that one of the air lines supplying front or rear brakes lines are out of air.

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Here are the photos of the broken brass fitting nut.
I am putting good over 100lbs of pressure on the wrench but bit wont turn , it twist some but wont turn? I hope those treads on the cilinder are not cuntercloackwise ?

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Les
1. I hever have seen left hand threads on any brake components

2. Heat would help, but as previously posted, there are parts inside that foot valve that would not be happy.

3. If the easy out is not working, your going to have to drill it out, with a LH drill. Be very carful not to drill into the valve. You'll have to pick out the threads of the old brass fitting from the foot valve.

4. From your pictures, some of the fitting indicate that the nut on the fitting is up against the valve. I'm betting that the thread sealant you are having trouble with, was used because the fitting were not sealing properly.
Some fittings are sold with very little threads & a sealant washer.
I think they are for BSPP or BSPT and will fit in a NPT thread but will NOT seal well.

5. Take the Foot valve off & have a shop fix or get a new/reman foot valve.

Good Luck

Gordon
1991 41.5' #266
8V92 DDEC II

(12-19-2012, 05:21 PM)Gordon Wrote:  Les
1. I hever have seen left hand threads on any brake components

2. Heat would help, but as previously posted, there are parts inside that foot valve that would not be happy.

3. If the easy out is not working, your going to have to drill it out, with a LH drill. Be very carful not to drill into the valve. You'll have to pick out the threads of the old brass fitting from the foot valve.

4. From your pictures, some of the fitting indicate that the nut on the fitting is up against the valve. I'm betting that the thread sealant you are having trouble with, was used because the fitting were not sealing properly.
Some fittings are sold with very little threads & a sealant washer.
I think they are for BSPP or BSPT and will fit in a NPT thread but will NOT seal well.

5. Take the Foot valve off & have a shop fix or get a new/reman foot valve.

Good Luck

Thanks you for your good advice!

I went to the truck parts store in Ventura and found the parts to put it back together if I get the old part out!
I got push lock male conector & push lock full union also picked up one foot of the hose to patch it!

I alled Newell and they alos sugested very low flame on the treads and try to loose it with heat.

I will try it and see if I get anywhere!

Your sugestion using drill bit is good!

I was thinking drill out the hole just bigger in the brass union to fit larger size easy out tool bit,it looks like 19/64 size would grab entire union better! and also the square end of it is way bigger and better grip to put wrench around it!

Replacing entire unit will be quite challanging for me ,I would have to mark each air line and replace one by one! I found the entire unit cost about $240 with out the brass fittings, I would have to get the model number of the old one.

Les & Cheryl Korcala

Newell 2001 2 slide #582
Nissan Exterra 2007
Trek "madone" road bikes
Trek 5.8 MTb

Instead of trying a wrench on the easy outs I would use a "square" socket on a breaker bar.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Don't know what hardware stores are near you but Sears usually has 8 point sockets which should fit the easyout.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337