You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

driver slide seal pulled out of the loom

Well, been gone from Oklahoma for a couple of weeks and today, rain came down and water was running in Yvonne's lap..cold water!

i looked at the seal and it had pulled out of the loom that holds it in place. the rear portion had been twisted. of course, called Newell and you know the answer..Must return to Oklahoma and have the seal re-strung..I was able to position the seal so that it sealed, somewhat..I doubt that I could position the slide and fix it..

thought I'd share this just in cayenne of you wizards has any ideas..

Ron Gripon
2003 coach 660-F150 
2005 Porsche Boxster

Ron, do you have vacuum pumps on your slide seals?

I have seen it apart, and honestly I don't know of any way of getting the seal back into it's channel with the slide in the way.

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(12-16-2017, 06:08 PM)Rongripon Wrote:  Well, been gone from Oklahoma for a couple of weeks and today, rain came down and water was running in Yvonne's lap..cold water!

i looked at the seal and it had pulled out of the loom that holds it in place. the rear portion had been twisted. of course, called Newell and you know the answer..Must return to Oklahoma and have the seal re-strung..I was able to position the seal so that it sealed, somewhat..I doubt that I could position the slide and fix it..

thought I'd share this just in cayenne of you wizards has any ideas..

Thanks Richard..i was afraid of the results when I found...I'm still a Newell guy but my enthusiasm id dulled a bit.

Ron Gripon
2003 coach 660-F150 
2005 Porsche Boxster

Sorry 'bout that, Ron. It super frustrating when something breaks that you *know* is beyond your abilities to fix. The slide seals are like that. It takes a special rig to support the slide when it is over extended. Next, the seal itself is hard to get and to top it off, the installation is no piece of cake. Newell replaced a seal right after I got my coach. They took the room apart, over extended the slide replaced the seal and put it all back together. The next day it started leaking (the new one). A complete do-over. Ugh.

Everyone recommends keeping the slide waxed where the seals touch, but I am not sure that is the right Rx. Since your coach is after mine, you have the vacuum mechanism. (BTW, the system that is on my vintage is not really a pump, it is a venturi system where they vent air past an orifice and that creates a vacuum that is used to empty and flatten the seals).

I can't help, but can offer moral support!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(12-17-2017, 08:19 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  Sorry 'bout that, Ron.  It super frustrating when something breaks that you *know* is beyond your abilities to fix.  The slide seals are like that.  It takes a special rig to support the slide when it is over extended.  Next, the seal itself is hard to get and to top it off, the installation is no piece of cake.  Newell replaced a seal right after I got my coach.  They took the room apart, over extended the slide replaced the seal and put it all back together.  The next day it started leaking (the new one).  A complete do-over.  Ugh.

Everyone recommends keeping the slide waxed where the seals touch, but I am not sure that is the right Rx.   Since your coach is after mine, you have the vacuum mechanism.  (BTW, the system that is on my vintage is not really a pump, it is a venturi system where they vent air past an orifice and that creates a vacuum that is used to empty and flatten the seals).

Thanks Bill, between the slide seal and tag axel, I'm stuck for a bit but being in San Antonio for Christmas isn't all bad.  I think a bit of immoral support might be in order.

Ron Gripon
2003 coach 660-F150 
2005 Porsche Boxster

When I was at Newell this fall, they under-extended my bedroom slide to replace where the outside skin separated from the frame. I could see the entire seal. What determines if the slide seal fix is done by under or over extending the slide? I have HWH slides.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

the raised floor slide like you have in your bedroom can be pulled in, the flat floor slides need to be pushed out of the coach enough to get at the seal from the inside.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

(12-17-2017, 09:34 AM)Rongripon Wrote:  
(12-17-2017, 08:19 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  Sorry 'bout that, Ron.  It super frustrating when something breaks that you *know* is beyond your abilities to fix.  The slide seals are like that.  It takes a special rig to support the slide when it is over extended.  Next, the seal itself is hard to get and to top it off, the installation is no piece of cake.  Newell replaced a seal right after I got my coach.  They took the room apart, over extended the slide replaced the seal and put it all back together.  The next day it started leaking (the new one).  A complete do-over.  Ugh.

Everyone recommends keeping the slide waxed where the seals touch, but I am not sure that is the right Rx.   Since your coach is after mine, you have the vacuum mechanism.  (BTW, the system that is on my vintage is not really a pump, it is a venturi system where they vent air past an orifice and that creates a vacuum that is used to empty and flatten the seals).

Thanks Bill, between the slide seal and tag axel, I'm stuck for a bit but being in San Antonio for Christmas isn't all bad.  I think a bit of immoral support might be in order.
I have Valid slides..I have had the bedroom slide seal replaced and then over extended that slide. On the front slides I'm not sure about the extension issue..I will certainly find out, won't I!!!!

Ron Gripon
2003 coach 660-F150 
2005 Porsche Boxster