You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Breaker Tripping

Hey Gurus, I'm trying to help get my Dads coach ready (1998 #488), and a breaker in the lower compartment keeps tripping. It is breaker #2, and it is labeled as supplying power to: Front TV, Rear TV, Gametable Receptacle, Door Chime, and Instant Hot. This is the breaker panel that is powered by the Inverter/Converter. I have checked all GFCIs I can find. But so far this has me stumped. He says they will be ok without it but I'm not satisfied unless I can provide them with a 100% functioning rig. Makes me thankful for our much simpler 1995 381.

Ethan, Marty, Sam, Jack and Tex Phillips
1995 Newell Coach #381

Honda Element, or Jeep Wrangler Toad

Is it possible that the breaker is bad? We have had more than one weak 50 amp breaker at RV park shore power pedestals. After having park put in new breaker, all was fine.

This will be a much smaller breaker than 50A. Still possible it could be bad, but I would place my bets on the Instant Hot. See if you can disconnect that device at the device and try the breaker again. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Hi Ethan,

The GFCI's should trip at the receptacle, not at the breaker box. One of the things to look at is the instahot. The heater can corrode and short to ground.

Does the breaker trip immediately indicating a short or after some time? If it's a quick trip you are looking for a short. A trip after a few minutes or even hours is pointing at a different problem.

Do you have an ammeter with your volt meter? How many amps is the circuit pulling.

By the way, that circuit is fed by the inverter, you should have a plug by the breaker box that allows you to by pass the inverter if needed. That will be a big difference from your 95

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

all good advise. like russ said i would try un plugging the instahot under the sink first. richard, mine does not have a plug to take the inverter out of the circuits

kinda surprising the instahot is in the inverter.

if that doesnt do it, then i would try unplugging things that are on those outlets.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, I had already unplugged the Insta-hot to rule that out. Also, the breaker, which is a 20 amp, trips immediately signaling a short. I have a spare breaker that I will swap out today and see if that fixes it. It's strange because I have unplugged all devices from the affected receptacles and it still trips immediately. It almost makes me suspect a chafed or chewed wire caused by rodents.

Ethan, Marty, Sam, Jack and Tex Phillips
1995 Newell Coach #381

Honda Element, or Jeep Wrangler Toad

Sure sounds like a short. Try another breaker. Let us know what you find please.

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004