You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Start Key Relay?

Gurus,

I tried to start my coach today, and nothin, nada, no dice.  When I turned the key on, none of the dash lights lit up and when I turned to start coach, nothing.  Tried the merge switch in all three positions.  Nothing.

I assumed that the merge relay had failed and that the engine batteries had completely run down.  

I went back to relay switch and found a slightly loose wire but all looked in order.

Back to the front and happened to look at my Silverleaf.  Hmmmm.  It comes on with power but does not read anything.  Maybe the key switch. I checked the harness behind the switch but it was also ok.

About that time I jiggled the key and the dash came "on".  I started engine with no problem.  But....I noticed the dash cut off and then on again.  

So, now I am thinking that there is a relay that powers everything in the front that is run from the key.  Is that possible?  I have not looked under dash in front of passenger seat but would guess that is where it would be.  Makes sense to me but I have never heard anyone talk about it.

Thoughts?
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

The ignition key on my 1992 triggers a relay that activates a number of circuits in the coach. You could have a loose wire at the ignition switch also.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael, Thanks! I am sure that there is a loose nut at the wheel as well. Is that relay in front of passenger?

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

It is on my coach.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com