You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Horn blowing like an alarm

Good morning.  This is my first post on here.  My father who passed left me his 1991.  He loved it and I hope to make some new memories with my family.  Anyway, when I arrived to my shop this morning where the bus is plugged in the horn was honking as if it was an alarm.  I had no clue what to do, so I cut some wires going to the horn just so i could hear myself think, splicing back together is no big deal.  The horn was still "clicking" and I was able to locate a relay in the fuel tank compartment and unplugged that and the clicking stopped.  Is this an underlying issue of something else or just a relay gone bad??  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you

1991 #266

There is a "panic" alarm built into our coach. A 1992. There is an outside key activation on the bay door just forward of the mid entry door. There is also an inside switch in the top cabinet just behind the mid entry. An alarm switch is on the panel in bedroom. Newell said this is the "panic" switch which would bring help from neighbors if you ever needed it. I'm still not sure how it all works though. You might check with Tommy Key or Creslie Clark at Newell for more info on it.

(12-19-2017, 10:00 AM)ccjohnson Wrote:  There is an outside key activation on the bay door just forward of the mid entry door.

I've been meaning to make a post asking what the heck that key slot (on the outside of my curb side basement air bay) is for.

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

Thank you for the response. I wondered what that key slot was for. I will contact them.

1991 #266

Pretty sure that is your intrusion alarm. It didn't work on my coach when I bought it used but Newell got it working again. Someone had changed the location of several wires going into the relay circuit in the bay in front of the exterior door on mine. When armed, it sounds if the exterior door is opened or the door to the bay were the circuit and relays are located or if the panic switch in the bedroom is activated. It only operates the electric horn on mine even when the air horns are selected from the dash. Clint was correct in the location of the switches (interior and exterior) to arm the system based on my 1992 model also. Before mine was rewired by Newell, the relays would click when it was armed also but at least it didn't set of the alarm.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

[attachment=5271][attachment=5272]The pictures attached are the instructions from my owners manual. It appears mine operates similar to yours.

If the text in the pictures is unclear, please let me know and I'll take another shot at it.

David and MaryLynn Kammeraad
1996 Newell #427
2014 Buick Lacrosse

Thanx David! I have printed the instructions & will place them in our Newell books. After 7 years of ownership, I have just recently gotten around to labeling & using intercom stations. We're always learning something new about our "old" coach.

Is this a great site or what? This morning as we were rushing to turn off lights and leave to get to the station for the Agawa Canyon train, while having coffee we noticed a rhynmic buzzing and the horn occasionally beeped. I pulled the horn fuse and left for the day. Though the trip is 9 hours round trip the scenario was gorgeous. Back at the coach, I tried a few things that made no difference so I surrendered and searched "alarm" with this site's search tool and the second thread to show up was this one which reminded me of the alarm switch next to the bed on a panel with light switches. Sure enough that switch was on, saved by the gurus, great!

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed