You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Which type batteries???

Hadn't heard of that before, wonder what the long term effects of mineral oil is

Steve & Patti, Bonnie and Tucker
1982 Newell 38' Classic, DD 6V92
cocktails for as many will fit in the site, dinner for as many can sit at the pick-nick table and sleeps 2 since I fixed the couch

I originally read about it in FMCA. Have not had any problems for +/- 2 yrs now.

Pretty common hack for lead acid batteries. As long as the liquid level does not drop below the top of the lead plates, you should have no problems.

I have done it before on coach batteries, and it does help with off gassing.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thank you gurus for all your comments and advice. I have decided to go with AGM type batteries, not sure which brand yet. However, I am on vacation for two weeks and do not want to address the battery issue until I get home in my shop. I have two of my six house batteries that are bad, overheating. Would it be OK just to take them out of the loop  and run with just for batteries until I get home?

Bryan
Ionia, MI
1983 Apollo Sceptre 35' DP

Absolutely Bryan! A few years ago I had 4 of the 6 8Ds go bad on my '98. This happened while leaving it parked at an RV park in Colorado for a month while we flew home. I added 14 gallons of distilled water when we got back and only managed to revive 2 of them. So I disconnected the 4 bad ones and lived with only 2 for over 3 months while on the road. No problems other than it limited my time dry camping, but the generator made up for it.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

(12-21-2017, 09:35 AM)bryguymi Wrote:  Thank you gurus for all your comments and advice. I have decided to go with AGM type batteries, not sure which brand yet. However, I am on vacation for two weeks and do not want to address the battery issue until I get home in my shop. I have two of my six house batteries that are bad, overheating. Would it be OK just to take them out of the loop  and run with just for batteries until I get home?

Sure can.  You might want to adjust your inverter settings to reflect less amp hours.  This will also raise the float voltage of the rest of your batteries by removing the batteries with the highest resistance (the warm ones).

Dallas and Janet
2004 #696
1958 351 Peterbilt rat rod
1985 359 Peterbilt
60 offshore defever

Thank you guys!!!

Bryan
Ionia, MI
1983 Apollo Sceptre 35' DP