You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

8v92TA Emergency Shutdown

I've been reading a little bit about this engines and I know they are old and not many users here have them but was wondering if there is such a thing as an emergency shutdown for this engines also should I be concerned about "runaway's"? Just by reading about it made me scare, I don't want to know how does it feel to stop such a beast that not even brakes will stop it.

There is a button with a red cap in the center of my dashboard, should that be the emergency shutdown engine? It cuts fuel to the engine?

Thanks

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

The only 'emergency shutdown' switch on my Newell is an override switch used to allow the engine to operate for 30 seconds to move the vehicle to a safe location when the DDEC shuts the engine down due to low coolant, low oil, or high oil temperature.

In motorhomes, engine runaways are very rare. They are typically caused by a failure that results in quantities of oil being sucked into the cylinders either due to a blown gasket or turbo/blower seal. If that were to happen, the best way to stop the engine is to block the flow of air into the cylinders by blocking the air intake with something virtually air tight. No air, no runaway.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

That is what I've been reading but if it happens while you are driving there is no chance you will have the chance to stop it, go to the back and throw something at the turbo intake to stop it. I didn't know that they are very rare on coaches, that makes me feel a little bit better.

So the red cap button in the middle of the dashboard what is it for then? If I toggle it nothing happens, I'm still trying to figure out what some of those buttons are for.

Thanks!

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

If you are driving place transmission in neutral. stop the coach and follow Michaels advice.

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Great! Didn't thought that you can change transmission to neutral if something like that were to happen. It might sound too basic for you guys by this is a completely new world to me.

Thanks!

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

While it is possible to get a runaway, the newer engines including yours have been designed to minimize the chances it will happen. On earlier designs of the DD 2-strokes there were a number of ways it could happen and all but the ones noted above have been eliminated. Even that one has been minimized by redesigned seals.

If you were to experience this very rare occurance, shift into nuetral, get off the road and get the fire extinguisher ready in case the engine blows. If the engine has run away to the point the brakes won't stop the coach, when you shift to nuetral the engine will Rev to the point of self destruction before you reach the shoulder.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Thank you SO much for that information.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)