You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Motorcycle Lift

Can anyone give me some advice on installing a motorcycle lift. I have #581, a 2001 45' with only a single 5K receiver. I am looking to install an electric motorcycle lift made by Overload that requires a three point receiver. One, can a three point be installed without having to modify the lower portion of the fiberglass rear panel.
Two, has anyone used one of these lifts or recommend another make. This unit is about five years old, and I can purchase it for around 700 with new winch and a nice light bar.

Dario Perini
2001 45'

I have the hydralift hydraulic lift. It is installed by welding a couple of supports to the frame and does not interfere with the existing receiver.

It is by-far the best lift I have ever seen. Super well built. 900lb capacity.

Take a look at http://hydralift-usa.com/motorhome-lift-2/

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(12-27-2017, 04:52 PM)bikestuff Wrote:  I have the hydralift hydraulic lift.  It is installed by welding a couple of supports to the frame and does not interfere with the existing receiver.

It is by-far the best lift I have ever seen.  Super well built.  900lb capacity.

Take a look at http://hydralift-usa.com/motorhome-lift-2/

Bill

Thanks Bill, I have been looking at the Hydralift as well. It looks like the best one out there but the best price I have found is about 4500 for a new one. I might start with this electric one first.

Dario

The light bar sounds good. The thing that I did not realize with my lift is that the bike obstructs the brake and turn lights on the coach. I ended up adding a couple of trailer LED lights to the lift itself along with some bar lights mounted down low. Now cars can see my lights and I find they are more likely to allow me to merge, etc.

I don't have a toad and use my bike instead -- A good plan until the dog needs to go with me.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I thought roro learned to drive the bike and you were riding shot gun

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Marc, Roro and I agreed to disagree about who gets to drive the bike. She wants to drive, but I bought it so I want to drive. Although it has the keyless ignition, I think her boyfriend (Wolfie -the coyote) knows how to hotwire it. Every once in a while I will notice her gone and the bike has a bunch more miles on it.

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

I have been using alum stationary racks for 17 years I have had on 89,96,and 04 newell. I have had three different rack with all the same concept. I have hauled Honda goldwings and polaris rzrs. They have all been pretty trouble free.

1996 #422 and 2004 #689 with YELLOW Goldwing, BMW K1200S, RZR, Dodge Truck

(12-28-2017, 06:38 AM)ron skeen Wrote:  I have been using alum stationary racks for 17 years I have had on 89,96,and 04 newell. I have had three different rack with all the same concept. I have hauled Honda goldwings and polaris rzrs. They have all been pretty trouble free.

Thanks Ron. What make aluminum racks have you used? Did you need a three point hitch? I am concerned with loading on an incline ramp as I am not getting any younger and the BMW and Harley I have are a little to heavy for me to handle safely but I will look into it
Thanks

(12-27-2017, 07:17 PM)bikestuff Wrote:  The light bar sounds good.  The thing that I did not realize with my lift is that the bike obstructs the brake and turn lights on the coach.  I ended up adding a couple of trailer LED lights to the lift itself along with some bar lights mounted down low.  Now cars can see my lights and I find they are more likely to allow me to merge, etc.

I don't have a toad and use my bike instead -- A good plan until the dog needs to go with me.

Bill, any chance you might have a couple of pictures of your lift, especially the three point receiver installation. 
Thanks
Dario

Dario,

Attached are some pics that I took during the "incident".   My diff blew up and the tow truck backed the rig (with motorcycle / lift) into a light post.  Pretty much 2x worse than my imagination could have come up with.  Anyway...here are some pics.

If you go with Hydralift, you will have to cut on the engine door.  Note the notch cut out of mine in pics.  Later installations done by Newell are much cleaner.  They figured out that you only need to cut a slot on each side for the supports. 

bill

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(12-28-2017, 08:00 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  Dario,

Attached are some pics that I took during the "incident".   My diff blew up and the tow truck backed the rig (with motorcycle / lift) into a light post.  Pretty much 2x worse than my imagination could have come up with.  Anyway...here are some pics.

If you go with Hydralift, you will have to cut on the engine door.  Note the notch cut out of mine in pics.  Later installations done by Newell are much cleaner.  They figured out that you only need to cut a slot on each side for the supports. 

bill
Bill
Thanks for the pictures. Ouch! I can't believe he backed into a light post. Looks like it damaged the lift but not the bike, that's good. I went ahead and purchased a like new Overbuilt yesterday but right after I did a guy called me about his 2016 Hydralift. He will be back in So Fla in a week, so I have decided to not install the Overbuilt until after I have a chance to see the Hydralift, it's still under warranty. If you want to remove the lift does it come off easily or is it a one piece unit? I do see where the two slits could be cut in easily to allow for the mounting brackets instead of cutting from frame to frame on the lower panel.
By the way, I really love your GS and have always wanted one but my legs are just to short for the seat height. I have a 99, R1100RT that I have had since new as well as a 08 HD Ultra Classic. I will probably travel with the BMW
Thanks and Happy New Year
Dario