You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

#242 1990 For Sale

Detroit 8V92, 42' $64,995

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/1990-Ne...5000910683
[Image: 5a34d5f60eec3a65ba6df6b7.jpg?width=1024&...quality=70]
[Image: 5a34d5f6787f6375bf3f09f6.jpg?width=1024&...quality=70]
[Image: 5a34d5f64b62e550c066a294.jpg?width=1024&...quality=70]
[Image: 5a34d5f6665a52617d2e94c3.jpg?width=1024&...quality=70]

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Hi all!

I am new here and a newbie to the RV world in general.  I have been considering purchasing my first MH and have been researching makes and models and came across Newell’s and fell in love with them. Unfortunately they are out of my price range as I Ann looking for a used unit except this one, #242, that’s I came across.  Then, low and behold, I found this post about it.  I figured this would be perfect for me to comment about it and to ask about it.

I found it listed at RV Country, at there location in Oregon.  Most of the pictures seem ok except the ripped upholstery, but things look better in pictures online than in person I have found.  The rig isn’t on consignment and they say they don’t have much info on it.  It isn’t listed for $46k and has a little over 200k miles on it.  The dealer hasn’t given me some info such as some of the things it has on it but doesn’t have much in terms of history or maintenance records.

I know that in a perfect world the mileage really shouldn’t worry me but this is not a perfect world and if it wasn’t maintained well could be a major headache and cost many many $$, both of which I don’t need and am really not in a position to deal with.  If anyone hasn’t any info on this coach or hasn’t gone to see it I would be most appreciative to hear about it.  Also, I am on the other side of the country so I am reserving making a trip to see it as the last step.

Any infor or input would be much appreciated.

Thanks all,

Morgan Baron
Coachless
New York

Welcome Morgan. I have never seen that coach in person. I saw it advertised back in 2005 and was interested at that time. One of my requirements was having a washer/dryer. I checked with Newell and based on the floorplan of that particular coach, I was told that the only place a washer/dryer could be put would take up the large floor to ceiling closet that has access from both the bathroom and the bedroom. They did not recommend that placement so I did not pursue that coach any further. It was listed for sale in 2008 and 2009 at Guaranty Coach in Oregon. I didn't see it advertised again until December of 2017 by Paul Evert's RV Country in Coburg, OR. I understand it was registered in Homer, Alaska in the 2012-2014 time period. Back in the 2006 time frame it had the Primus heating system. Historically, I find that photos look better than it does in person. In the photos, the exterior looks nice, the interior, not so much.

While the 200,000 miles doesn't surprise or bother me for a coach of that era, the lack of any maintenance records would cause me to assume I would need a cash reserve to cover unanticipated repairs and I would want a sample of the oil and transmission fluid tested to see if there were any anomalies.

I have a copy of the floorplan that Newell faxed me back in 2006. If you are interested, let me know and I will email it to you.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael:

Wow, that would be great even if only to get a better idea of what it is. My email is [email protected]. I am hesitant to make the trip to see it without more info, such as maintenance records but I am still speaking to a salesperson there and have read some good things about that dealer (on this forum as well), so hopefully I can get them to get or give me some info with some nagging.

Thanks for the reply Michael and for the floor plan, I appreciate it. This is the only Newell I have see that is approaching my budget so I don’t know if my first coach will be a Newell, but eventually one will be. If this doesn’t work out I have seen a couple of Newmar’s that might work for now; I know they are not in the same class but from what I’ve seen are ok.

And, again, if anyone has any other info on this coach I do appreciate it.

Thanks Morgan

Check you email Morgan.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com