You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Replacement for JetpaQ
Smile 

Hi Guys and Gals,
Forgive me but I am not an RV owner; perhaps in the future. My question is of a residential nature. I have a well water purification system (installed in 1999). Long story, short....there is a JetpaQ pump that is working fine delivering the water to our faucets, etc. I'm wondering if anyone knows the replacement pump available for this pump. I did read something about Headhunter. I'm sure the JetpaQ has a life span and perhaps it's past; but, I'd appreciate any help identifying the replacement for this pump. I would not know the first thing about doing it myself and would also appreciate any advice on whether a plumber or only a water purification company would be doing this work. Perhaps I'm a bit pessimistic about how long these pumps last. Sixteen years in service scares me a bit. Thanks in advance. Smile My first time on any thread, so let me know if I screwed up.

The mechanical seal on my Jetpaq failed. My fix inadvertantly permanently ruined the pump head. The Jetpaq is obsolete and Grundfos does not provide any support or parts.

I replaced the pump with a Grundfos MQ-3-45. It has the same bolt foot print but the supply line is in a different place and the discharge is about an inch higher than the JetPaq. It required that I rework the supply and discharge lines. My lines were pex, so other than having to buy a crimp tool and some new fittings, it was a pretty easy install.

Since every Newell is different, I won't spend a lot of time on details, but here are some things to consider. The inlet line is not a flexible joint like the Jetpaq, you will have to work from the inlet back to the water tank if you have any threaded fittings. The outlet of the pump is on the same centerline as the old pump, but the new pump is taller. You may have to adjust the length of the discharge line.

The new pump has a plug on the end whereas the old one was hard wired. I simply cut the plug off and hard wired it into the junction box.

Finally, the instructions and the vendor who supplied the pump warned to prime the pump before starting or the pump would self destruct. Having witnessed this destruction on the old pump, I did not need to learn the lesson again.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard encouraged me to post, as I just completed a copy cat install of the Grundfos pump that Richard installed above. For those that are hesitant, this was my first time with Pex fittings, tubing, and crimping. The Grundfos pump was under $500 shipped. The Headhunter was over $1200. Thus, the $160 I spent on tools and parts was still cheap. It was a fight most of the way, with rusted mounting bolts, legacy parts that I planned on reusing that I destroyed and still did not get apart. I just purchased more new apex fittings. Not having all the tools and misc. bolts, and electrical connectors dragged it out. Had I taken the time to do a thorough inventory ahead of time, I probably would have saved a lot of time. The interesting part was figuring out the order of tubing crimps because I could not easily get the crimping tool inside the compartment. So, I fitted everything together, then disassembled, and proceeded to pull the pump out crimp, put back in, fit, pull out crimp, repeat, till the last crimp I could actually do inside the compartment. A bit of a thought process, but highly rewarding when done. A couple of screw on fitting leaks on first attempt but seems to be water tight now, and providing way more water pressure than the previous pump. So, if I can do,this, so can you :-) Go for it!

Thanks to Richard for the previous post to get me started, and coaching and encouragement to Get-R-Done.

Oh, in the picture the blue towels are great to determine if you have leaks.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Mike & Jeannie Ginn
2000 Newell #555 - sold July 2020
2019 Leisure Travel Van FX model

I used shark bite fittings to put mine in. Very easy

Tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

The people on this site are amazing, both in their willingness to assist each other and the propensity to successfully complete jobs that are way over our skill level. There is so much to admire here Smile

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

(08-15-2017, 09:48 PM)encantotom Wrote:  I used shark bite fittings to put mine in. Very easy

Tom
I had those in my shopping cart first, but I had to replace a lot of fittings, and it came out about the same cost as buying the apex tools. My deciding factor was that if I missed a fitting in my planning then, it was another trip to the store, whereas with Pex it was just another crimp, and I am prepared for other repairs if needed in the future. Those Shark Bite fittings was very nice tough!

Mike & Jeannie Ginn

And if you buy the (cheap) Shark bite tool they can be easily removed and replaced or used again. Makes it really easy if you have to replace a pump or something.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

they are pricey, but i have started using them more and more. i plumbed my water softeners both in the house and the shop with them. they allow easy rotation of the pipe and can be removed in seconds with the buck and half removal tool.

i live in the country, so i always buy more than i need and then return what i will never use.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I was recently at Newell for service. One of the senior technicians Dwight also know as Whitey, was enthralled with my installation of the Grundfos water pump. He brought 2 other techs outside to show, and took pictures to show others. When I told them it cost $500, they about fell over as Newell charges $1600 for the Head Hunter and they said they have lots of problems with them. i am very happy with the pump, and would recommend to anyone in the market for a new 120v water pump.

Mike & Jeannie Ginn