You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Rariton water heater

(01-05-2018, 03:22 AM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Check for power at the switch on the instrument panel (somewhat unusual location for a water heater switch).

A friend told me to check my switch, I found that it was showing signs of overheating. It is a small switch with a lot of amps running thru it.

If a higher wattage heater element has been installed previously, it could have overloaded the switch & burned it out. You gotta find that switch & start there.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

(01-05-2018, 06:53 PM)kyleb Wrote:  
(01-05-2018, 03:22 AM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Check for power at the switch on the instrument panel (somewhat unusual location for a water heater switch).

A friend told me to check my switch, I found that it was showing signs of overheating. It is a small switch with a lot of amps running thru it.

If a higher wattage heater element has been installed previously, it could have overloaded the switch & burned it out. You gotta find that switch & start there.

Thanks to all. Turns out the wiring to the external thermostat was broken where it came out of some sprayfoam insulation. Replaced that wire and all is good. Thanks again, Mark

Good catch. Glad you found the broken wire.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(01-09-2018, 12:23 AM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Good catch. Glad you found the broken wire.

I dont understand the reason for an external thermostat. Removed it yesterday. Must have been added with a different heater. There is a new Rariton and it works great. Removed the rusty, leaking insta hot as well.

Replacing the toilet today, new tile in bathroom as well.

Fun project so far. Mark

I replaced the original toilet with a Dometic High Profile 320 Series. We LOVE IT. I am getting too old to get up from a squatty potty.

Thankfully, I don't notice the colors they used in my bathroom as much anymore, so changing the wall paper and remodelling isn't as big a priority now. Big Grin

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

(01-10-2018, 06:30 PM)kyleb Wrote:  I replaced the original toilet with a Dometic High Profile 320 Series. We LOVE IT. I am getting too old to get up from a squatty potty.

Thankfully, I don't notice the colors they used in my bathroom as much anymore, so changing the wall paper and remodelling isn't as big a priority now.   Big Grin

Did you just cut a 3" hole in the tank and go straight down? That is my plan but I got sidetracked and didn't get at the toilet today. We also went with a high profile. For some reason I have no propane at any appliance, gauge says 3/4 but no pressure. Also spent some time on the gen. door. DW removed wallpaper in bedroom and prepped walls for paint or paper. Dramatic change from pink to black/white.

as for propane, if there is nothing at any appliance and you are sure there is propane in the tank, i would check the automatic shutoff valve at the tank. you should have a propane leak detector somewhere in the front interior of the coach. on my 90 it was under the couch on the floor. if it detects propane, it is wired to the 12v shutoff valve at the tank and will shut the propane off. it is possible it is either detecting propane, or it is faulty.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

The new toilet bolts were in a different location, so I had to get a metal repair flange from Lowes.
I reused the existing plumbing to the tank.

As for the propane - look at the tank, after the regulator, is there a solenoid valve? If so, you need to check to see if it is getting power. If not, look for the leak detector inside the coach & go from there to see why it isn't telling the valve to open.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Ours has 1 1/2 " plumbing. Is that large enough with the 2 bends?  I was going to change up to 3" Maybe dont have to.

Will check out the propane valve this morning.

Thanks for your input.

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

The Microphor toilet uses air pressure to partially macerate and push down the waste. So I would be a little concerned going with a smaller pipe for the Dometic. My LazyDaze has a 90º bend in the waste pipe and it has plugged up once or twice. I think the pipe is 3".

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337