You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Aquahot plenum 12v blower motor

Those fuses are good so I must have an inline fuse somewhere. I've looked at the passenger footwell, in the bay by the inverter, back by the electrical panel, and all over the Aqua Hot.
I'll call Newell in the morniing.
Thanks Russ,

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Steve,

Check for power at the Hi/Low fan speed switch. It is always possible that the fault current could have damaged the very small contacts in that switch. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Found the answer. Why the 20 amp fuse didn't blow I don't know.
The motor was seized.
Grainger may have this as #5ZJ16. It's made by Omron # PTF11PC,
about $8.37 but priceless at 32 degrees this morning!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

How come where the top relay plugs in, it looks burnt?

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,

I'll take a shot at an answer for you. In post #1 we know the motor has seized. I assume it gets replaced and in post #7 there is no power to the new motor and the other Steve thinks the fuse must have blown. Well it seems it did not and he is wondering why and you are looking at the picture of the burned relay socket. There is a possible sequece that would explain all this.
When the motor seized, as they seem to do, the resistance in the circuit goes down, so the current goes up. But, we know the current did not exceed 20 amps because the fuse did not clear. If the resistance of the motor, wires, switch, and relay added up to say one ohm, then the current would be about 14 amps, not enough to blow the fuse. That 14 amps at 14 volts would produce about 200 watts of heat - all heat since the motor is not turning. I suspect the connection between the relay socket and relay was not too good, and a considerable portion of that heat was generated right there. Since the fuse did not blow, it is reasonable to assume that the circuit may have been active and calling for the fan to run for a considerable period of time, all the while making the bad connection just get hotter and hotter. At some point it probably got hot enough to cause the connection to completely fail and current stopped flowing. Looks like a new socket and maybe even a new relay may be in order to get things back to working again. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

Well stated Russ! That is what happened. My first clue was when I opened up the plenum box to pull the bad fan motor out, the plastic that mounts the motor was deformed and melted. I had to take a heat gun and reform the area that the motor sits in. With two squirrel cages spinning in this small area, getting the cages not to rub was tough. I used two straps like you mount a stereo with to strap the motor in two places so it couldn't move, since the original plastic strapping the motor was ruined from the heat. After this I'm not afraid to tackle my AquaHot anymore (with Roger Burke's site for help!)
Thanks,

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Russ & Steve,
This electrical stuff can still be confusing to me. Thanks for explaining what happened.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,
I notice in your picture that your fuses are different than mine. I realize that our units are about 2 yrs apart so maybe that explains why yours uses different amp fuses. Since the 20 amp fuse did not protect your system I'm wondering if a previous owner didn't put in a 20 amp fuse by mistake or to "fix" a problem. My fuses, left to right, are five 10 amp fuses and then one 15 amp fuse in the right position. I don't have any 20 amp fuses on my AquaHot.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Creslie said they are are using a 20 amp in that slot because with the 15 amp when the rear zone and the front zone started at the same time it was occasionally blowing the fuse. Roger's site shows the different model year changes. Mine is the 2nd version of the 431-12, along with some small running changes, they changed the 431-12 in 1998 and again in mid 1999.
I got the part in at Grainger and it is identical to the old one. Will install soon and see what happens.
Thanks,

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458

Got the part installed, powered the Aqua Hot up and all systems are a go.
I had to remove the rivets holding the fuse panel and the pull it out of the way to slip the new relay plug over the vertical mount in the pic.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Steve Magown
Calhoun, LA
2001 Prevost H3 Vantare
formerly Newell #458