You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Antifreeze

I’m a little concerned at what temperature the generator is good down too before it would freeze. I have had to add water and I have added antifreeze over the last fall but not sure how protected I am. It’s suppose to get down to 2 below.. it got down to 4 earlier and had no problems.. I am considering just running the generator through the night to make sure.. opinions..

Marc Newman
Formerly Newell 422, 507, 512 701

Buzz over to NAPA or wherever and buy some litmus strip antifreeze testers.  sometime included with Nitrite & molydemium (sp) and pull a sample from the expansion tank.  

If the underbay is still under heat, you're likely golden.  Otherwise you could put a trouble lamp in the generator compartment and radiator bay.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Thanks Gordon I’ll do that right now!

Marc Newman

Good to minus 14.. but I’m gonna top off the coolant tomorrow it’s a little low

Marc Newman

Do you know why you are losing coolant?

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

A common place for radiator leaks is where the filler cap attaches to the radiator tank. Quick solution is to clean it to bare metal and slap a coat of JB Weld on it. Better more permanent fix is to have a radiator shop braze it.
This: https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovators-T...thermostat
Along with an incandescent or halogen bulb would work to keep the genny compartment from freezing.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Yes , I had cooling fan on the radiator go bad and it overheated. I added coolant back but at the time I was out and didn’t have anti freeze on me so I added distilled water. I added some antifreeze later. I wasn’t sure what my mix was and forgot to check it.. the side mount generators are very hard to get all the air bubbles out of the system . I’m guessing I had some bubbles left and need to add just a bit more.. I haven’t noticed any leaks anywhere..

O degrees this morning.. bays stayed at 42 through the night..cooold

Marc Newman

Hello Marc,

i experienced the genset antifreeze issue.

1. I found that the recirculation hose from the genset to the radiator had leaks due to age.
2. I had a small leak on the radiator core.
3. I had a small lead on the hose connection on the back side of the radiator.
4. i had a small drip on the thermostat housing.

finding and fixing each leak was a task because each one was small but totaling them up was a lot and it did require close watch on the fluid levels. since them, I add some coolant but nothing serious.  50/50 mix works for me. I don't add straight antifreeze or water, always a mix.

hope you got all your repairs done and are traveling smoothly.

Ron Gripon
2003 coach 660-F150 
2005 Porsche Boxster