You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Nissan Leaf Battery

This is interesting. He is re purposing a Nissan Leaf battery for his Converted RV bus!!

https://youtu.be/K47NLwHyZng

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Super!

I watched a handful of his videos. We need to get him out of that PD 4106 and into a vintage Newell. Or at least make him an honorary Guru.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

We did something similar on our MCI 8 but used a 24 volt setup and a Samlux 4024 inverter. Also think we only used 24 of the cells, in a series/parallel system. Originally started with a golf cart battery but the battery only lasted a yr. It was an old battery when installed. This guy's is a lot neater than ours. We originally intended to boondock a lot but plans changed. The solar panels are a p.i.a. Our Newell has new batteries so should be a while before need for change but will probably use a L.I. system when these go bad. The technology is rapidly improving so maybe the size/weight will improve by the time I need it.

The fellow that did this video does nice work.

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

I really enjoyed watching the videos. I think maybe his wife is the brains of the outfit. She apparently did the layout of his switch gear. Impressive!

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

My wife noticed that as well. Looks like CAD drawings. Somewhere he mentions a download of his are avail. but I didn't get it done. His storage bays are pretty clean as well.

The Samelex has a built in charge controller with a remote system, not as elaborate as this with individual cell charge and heat monitors. This would work nicely with a 2000 watt or more solar setup.

I watched parts of all his vids on this and wife saved them somewhere. Nice work.

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

Thanks for sending out this link - I'm in awe of his project - wow good stuff. It gives me a lot to think about. He also setup diag split AC system which is something I've though about - but not sure I have the room for it even if I did want to do it. Here's a link that I think they also mention about the same inverter battery controller. Very awesome Flexible with some awesome finishes - must have been a high dollar conversion - sorry about the youtube adds
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfz-7xKSaow

John with the 75 in Michigan

John and Marcia Marshall 
1975 Newell 30ft - 9.0 IHC
1986 Navstar 9.0 Diesel 160hp
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
ASE Master & Computer Admin
Love old tech  Idea

Here's a guy planning to use a Tesla battery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_cC0NKvCDY

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

While there is probably no safer lithium nickel cobalt aluminum oxide ("NCA") battery one could install in a coach than a Tesla pack, that chemistry is very aggressive and subject to thermal runaway, like many of the other EV lithium chemistries. In an environment like an RV, where pets or children could be asleep or trapped inside, I couldn't convince myself that a potentially super-exothermic pack would be safe enough for me to sleep well at night (and sleep literally on top of the pack, as it happens).

A lithium iron phosphate pack (LiFePO4, or "LFP"), on the other hand, has slightly less energy density but a much better thermal safety envelope. For boats and RVs, where unattended operation is important, where discharge current is small relative to pack capacity, and where space is not at quite as much of a premium vis a vis a car, LFP is perhaps the best compromise between safety and energy density.

While I am proud of these guys for experimenting and pushing the envelope, and I know a few of them personally at this point, I do not agree with their risk-benefit analysis. I hope they are lucky or that I am wrong; either would be fine.

2008 Newell #1234
Boulder, CO