You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Purchasing due diligence

I've found a coach I like at a dealer. What precautions should I take before purchasing? Should I insist on a 3rd party inspection? What's the best service to get a vehicle history, carfax? I welcome all advice as its significant money more like a house purchase!

Mick

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Need a Newell so I can have a signature!

Mick & Renee
2009 Newell 45’ 8” #1277, C15 625HP 12-speed ZF
Full time working and traveling. 

Mick,
I would say that the most important consideration in buying a coach is condition.  Some coaches are fixer uppers, some are ready to go & some are some where in between.  The key is being able to recognize the difference.  I didn't need a 3rd party inspection as I was able to do my own inspection.  If you are not comfortable doing an inspection, then hiring some one might be your best option.  I have never used Carfax, so no advice.  I trust my judgement as I look for signs of maintenance and non maintenance.  I look for signs of repair and non repair.  I think the best documentation of a coach's history is service documentation!

If you are going to need to hire an inspector, giving the dealer location may help as we have members across the country.

As part of your due diligence, learn what the different year coaches and different floorplans offered as the years you are looking at offer many differences.

Last, but not least...........................welcome to the forum

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Thanks. This is near Tampa, FL.

I like the coach, overall mechanical condition looks good, just the usual fine details of trim need tidying up, but honestly, its things that I would probably live with so I'm not holding that against the previous owner! I'm probably a bit sensitive because I once inspected and bought a 4WD truck and missed a crack in the chassis.

Someone has suggested the NRVIA (National RV Inspectors Association) for an inspection.

Mick & Renee

yeah, what Steve (Rheavn) said.

Bryan
Ionia, MI
1983 Apollo Sceptre 35' DP

Call me. 817 223 2056

I live north of Tampa, and may be able to help you. Are you in the area also?

I can't tell you to buy or not buy a coach, and I won't comment on price at all. But I do have a little working knowledge of Newells, and I can tell you what I see.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(01-31-2018, 02:19 AM)Richard Wrote:  Call me. 817 223 2056  

I live north of Tampa, and may be able to help you. Are you in the area also?

I can't tell you to buy or not buy a coach, and I won't comment on price at all. But I do have a little working knowledge of Newells, and I can tell you what I see.

"But I do have a little working knowledge of Newells", now THAT'S an understatement Richard.  Smile

Bryan
Ionia, MI
1983 Apollo Sceptre 35' DP

You can also call Newell & get some basic info from them as to the history of service done in house.

Thank you everyone, especially Richard for the kind offer. I spent the morning taking a detailed 2nd look and decided to buy! Indirectly Richard helped more than he knows because I got agreement for him to visit and take a look and that, along with my extra inspection, convinced me that there was nothing being hidden.

Mick, soon to be Newell owner.

Mick & Renee

Mick,
I hope you will bring your new coach over to the Guru Rally and meet many Newell owners and let us drool over your new coach.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531