You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...
Newell Gurus 2018 Rally May 1-8 at Bella Terra in Foley, Alabama Check out Rally Thread

Leece Neville Alternator
I am removing the Leece Neville alternator on the 86 with 8V92 . The alternator is mounted above the bell housing and drives off the blower . There are three bolts going through the alternator housing and spacer with cooling vents , threading into the drive housing. According to the Detroit manual the alternator should separate from the drive at the spacer . I have been unable to get it to budge there , however I can get about 3/8 inch movement between alt housing and spacer . There is white sealer between the spacer and drive housing , it's either stuck very well or I'm missing something here . I'm hoping someone out there can shed light on this or point me in the direction of a schematic . The manual that I downloaded doesn't have an illustration of the alternator mounting .
Any information very much appreciated .
Thanks,
Chris
1986 #89
VIN 007
(02-10-2018, 07:46 AM)Tf 175 Wrote: I am removing the Leece Neville alternator on the 86 with 8V92 . The alternator is mounted above the bell housing and drives off the blower . There are three bolts going through the alternator housing and spacer with cooling vents , threading into the drive housing. According to the Detroit manual the alternator should separate from the drive at the spacer . I have been unable to get it to budge there , however I can get about 3/8 inch movement between alt housing and spacer . There is white sealer between the spacer and drive housing , it's either stuck very well or I'm missing something here . I'm hoping someone out there can shed light on this or point me in the direction of a schematic . The manual that I downloaded doesn't have an illustration of the alternator mounting .
Any information very much appreciated .
Thanks,
Chris
Alternator update ... 12mm 1.25 tap threads right into fan housing , came in from the drive side with 3/8 cap screw as a jack screw and voila ! Alternator came free . I think there should be a gasket there instead of the sealer which had the flanges stuck together. Now to get this greasy lump working ...
Chris
1986 #89
VIN 007
Leece Neville saga continues . Found information plate indicating the alternator is a factory reman unit by Sheller -Globe , a company defunct since 1989 . Tag indicates alternator is a 14 volt unit with 75 amp output . This is interesting in that the Newell manual states that standard equipment is 160 amp Leece Neville. Search begins for the correct unit.
Chris
1986 #89
VIN 007
Chris, an alternator shop should be able to rebuild your alternator with a variety of output amps, or you can search for them online. Buying online might even be less expensive than having an alternator shop rebuild yours.
Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
0 hp 8V92 Allison HT740
Soon to be 500 hp ISM 6spd ZF