You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New to site

I’m new to the site and currently looking to upgrade from our 45’ 06 Country Coach Intrigue. We have narrowed our search to two coaches, 07-10 Newell and 06-09 Prevost H or XL. My wife and I love our current coach but believe it’s time to move on. We have heard very mixed opinions about both brands and are seeking information from actual owners vs salespeople. If anyone can give guidance or comparisons please feel free to comment back. Your help will help guide us in our decision. Thanks, 
Michael

Welcome Michael. You have picked a couple of great coaches to choose from. Realizing that we are biased to some extent, many of us looked at both Prevost conversions and Newells before making our decisions. Prevost conversions can vary greatly, in features and quality, depending on the specific converter that turned the bus into a custom coach. A number of those converters are no longer in business. Newell, on the other hand, builds the complete unit from the custom designed chassis to the interiors in house. This allows Newell to provide more customization than Prevost where a specific converter can make many interior and layout changes but the basic chassis/body are delivered to them by Prevost. You will see much more variety and customization in the length, depth, placement and number of the slides. Most, in the age range you listed would be primarily flat floor electric slides controlled and actuated by Valid. By 2007, all Newells were built with suspension by ZF, including the active steerable tag axle and virtually all will be powered by the Cat C-15 (typically 625 HP) with the exception of the three of the last four 2010 models (#1405, 1406 and 1408) which used the Cummins ISX (650 HP). Transmissions will be either the Allison 6 speed or the ZF autoshift either 10 speed or 12 speed. The Cat engines used with the Allison's were typically 1850 ft-lb of torque while the ZF's were typically mated to a 2050 ft-lb of torque engine.

Some will be front entry and some will be mid-entry. Most, if not all will use the Bode air operated entry door, have all wheel disc brakes and ABS. All will be P2000i models with the Porsche design treatments which was introduced with coach #776, a 2006 model (prior 2006 models were 2000i series). 2007 models began with coach #787-#816, then skipped to #1200 to account for the 383 Newells built prior to the Coach Numbering System introduced in 1983 which started with coach #1. The last 2010 Newell was coach #1408. Most will be 4 slide, with a few 3 slide units and one non-slide coach #1297, a 2010 model built as a lighting demonstration coach.

We do not talk derogatorily about Prevost here because they make a fine bus and many of the converters turn the shells into terrific coaches.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Michael,

Welcome to the site. Do you have specific questions or areas that you want to learn more about? Otherwise, it's sort of a wide open question posted on a Newell forum. You might get a Newell bias :-).

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

It's really hard to beat the 24/7 emergency help line that Newell has for ALL of their coaches regardless of age. Hopefully you will never need it. But it is nice to know it is there. As well as the factory support for service and repairs / up grade modifications.

welcome to the forum. either coach will be a fine choice. have fun with the search...make sure you go drive some of both brands as well, so you have a feeling on how they handle.

the great thing is that if you see a coach somewhere parked, most owners are more than willing to share their thoughts and maybe give a tour.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I would lean in the direction of the coach that pleases you most in terms of how you see yourselves using it. Is there a place for the stuff you want to take with you, for your hobbies.

Both coaches are excellently built and, if in similar starting condition, likely to have similar maintenance costs.

Recently I called Newell for some help with wiring of the transmission on my 93 coach. The people that new what I needed had retired and no one presently knew what I needed to know. I did the necessary research and following wires and learned what I needed to know. With a Prevost coach I suspect, but do not know for sure, that documentation would have been available to cover my situation. Still, it's a tradeoff because a Newell will be cheaper than a Prevost conversion of the same year and number of slides. It's not because Newell is a lesser coach, just different. That brings me back to my original premise; find a coach that pleases you both and go enjoy it without worrying about the comparison with the alternative. Comparison is the enemy of contentment.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

(02-11-2018, 10:58 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Welcome Michael. You have picked a couple of great coaches to choose from. Realizing that we are biased to some extent, many of us looked at both Prevost conversions and Newells before making our decisions. Prevost conversions can vary greatly, in features and quality, depending on the specific converter that turned the bus into a custom coach. A number of those converters are no longer in business. Newell, on the other hand, builds the complete unit from the custom designed chassis to the interiors in house. This allows Newell to provide more customization than Prevost where a specific converter can make many interior and layout changes but the basic chassis/body are delivered to them by Prevost. You will see much more variety and customization in the length, depth, placement and number of the slides. Most, in the age range you listed would be primarily flat floor electric slides controlled and actuated by Valid. By 2007, all Newells were built with suspension by ZF, including the active steerable tag axle and virtually all will be powered by the Cat C-15 (typically 625 HP) with the exception of the three of the last four 2010 models (#1405, 1406 and 1408) which used the Cummins ISX (650 HP). Transmissions will be either the Allison 6 speed or the ZF autoshift either 10 speed or 12 speed. The Cat engines used with the Allison's were typically 1850 ft-lb of torque while the ZF's were typically mated to a 2050 ft-lb of torque engine.

Some will be front entry and some will be mid-entry. Most, if not all will use the Bode air operated entry door, have all wheel dish brakes and ABS. All will be P2000i models with the Porsche design treatments which was introduced with coach #776, a 2006 model (prior 2006 models were 2000i series). 2007 models began with coach #787-#816, then skipped to #1200 to account for the 383 Newells built prior to the Coach Numbering System introduced in 1983 which started with coach #1. The last 2010 Newell was coach #1408. Most will be 4 slide, with a few 3 slide units and one non-slide coach #1297, a 2010 model built as a lighting demonstration coach.

We do not talk derogatorily about Prevost here because they make a fine bus and many of the converters turn the shells into terrific coaches.

Thanks Mike.
I appreciate your response and knowledge. Is there anything common with Newells that I can expect to be problematic around 100,000 miles? Thanks again.

I've owned 2 Newells, 100,000 miles is irrelevant. How well a coach has been cared for, or not cared for, is relevant.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

Our current Newell is at 225K and counting. We finished a 10k trip in 2017, and in the process of planning a longer one for 2018. The mechanicals don't worry me at all.

I think perhaps the question could be, what should I look for in a ten year old coach that is somewhat unique to Newell?

Don't take my list as inclusive, and I am sure others will chime in.

As with any coach, look for signs of water intrusion.
At ten years, you may want to think about replacing the airbags. They usually go longer, but you asked.
Newells seem to go through a lot of radiators. Don't know if it's the coach design or the manufacturer.
Take a look at the condition of the pneumatic slide seals. Most Prevosts have them too. But at ten years they may show signs of UV degradation.
The appliances such as refrig, TVs, water pumps, and what not are nearing their life expectancy. But this is not unique to Newell or Prevost.
Since Newell is primarily an aluminum skin, there can be small places where surface corrosion has caused the paint to blister.
Some Newells of the era you are interested in had a problem with the frameless windows fogging.

You are a coach owner, and of a fine machine at that. The question was a good one to pose on the Newell forum, but honestly I don't know of Newell specific issues other than the aluminum skin. All of the other issues could be applied to any coach of the era and age.

I agree with Jon. Mileage is not a concern, maybe more is better. I truly believe low mileage is not a good thing. I also believe the worst thing is if the coach has been sitting for an extended period.

You may find in your search that the Newells may require less extensive updating than a Prevost of the same era simply because the contemporary styling that Newell typically uses tends to age a little better and is easily freshened with new fabrics and colors. But's that is my opinion.

Since you have a nice coach, you know what floorplan and features you are looking for. As others have said, look, drive, and inspect. Enjoy the hunt.

I would suggest that a trip to the Newell factory in Miami, OK is well worth the investment to meet the service staff and look at the used coaches on the site.

Tell us a little more about yourself. Background? Mechanical and electrical inclinations? What are you expecting from a Newell or Prevost that your CC doesn't provide.

And please consider dropping by the No Rally Rally in Bella Terra. You'll meet some really nice folks, although most of the coaches in attendance will be older than the range you indicated. It will give you a chance to see how they hold up to time.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks Richard.
My wife and I have been part time coaching for just over 5 years as coach owners but had prior experience with loaned coaches. I am self employed in the automotive business, automotive repair, tires, maintenance, and petroleum products. My wife is retired and anxiously awaiting the day we can become full timers. Our sons are running our businesses with my help and doing a good job. I still have 2-3 more years in my public life as a school board member and have too much energy to slow down just yet.

I am very comfortable performing most repairs on my coach such as radiator (done in country coach), seal repairs, and pretty much anything except major diesel repairs. I’m not afraid to delve into most anything that comes up except electrical issues.

I love to tinker and could say that I have developed an intimate knowledge of our current coach. It did take some time to get there and maybe part of my interest in obtaining as much information prior to buying another coach. Our current coach has been great but the wife and I are looking for additional amenities and upgrades which both Newell and Prevost offer. We fully understand and have had no problem with the annual costs associated with the upkeep, repairs, and maintenance and are concerned about greatly increasing those costs.

I have found in RV’ing that most people are more then willing to lend a helping hand an/or give advice, no disappointment here, thanks for everyone’s comments, they are very helpful and I am thankful I signed up.