You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New Air Conditioner advice???

Hello Gurus,

On my coach #599 (2001) I have three roof-top air conditioners; units 1 & 2 I believe to be original (Duo-Therm 13.5k btu each, according to the literature I have) and unit 3 is different, maybe a Duo-Therm Penguin???  (I have no paperwork on that one).

Units 1 & 2 are both noisy and #2 has a serious vibration; I've read on here a bit about that issue being common with them, and I choose to replace them with new. 

Unit 3 works just fine; however, it's taller then the others, and this is an issue as it's the high point of the coach.  If I could lower it slightly that would be a cool (no pun intended) thing. 

All three of these units are controlled by a Comfort Control Center thermostat (fairly new, I replaced it last August) and it seems to work well. 

So my questions are as follows:

1)  given that I have the CCC thermostat, what choices do I have for different makes of AC units (I'm guessing only Duo-therm/Dometic?)
2) Low profile or not???  (it seems to make sense, at least on the rear #3 unit)
3) stay with 13.5btu?
4) might you recommend a particular model? (I do not need/want heat strips)

Thanks much in advance!
Bryan

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Bryan
Ionia, MI
1983 Apollo Sceptre 35' DP

(02-13-2018, 01:08 PM)Obryguymi Wrote:  Hello Gurus,

On my coach #599 (2001) I have three roof-top air conditioners; units 1 & 2 I believe to be original (Duo-Therm 13.5k btu each, according to the literature I have) and unit 3 is different, maybe a Duo-Therm Penguin???  (I have no paperwork on that one).

Units 1 & 2 are both noisy and #2 has a serious vibration; I've read on here a bit about that issue being common with them, and I choose to replace them with new. 

Unit 3 works just fine; however, it's taller then the others, and this is an issue as it's the high point of the coach.  If I could lower it slightly that would be a cool (no pun intended) thing. 

All three of these units are controlled by a Comfort Control Center thermostat (fairly new, I replaced it last August) and it seems to work well. 

So my questions are as follows:

1)  given that I have the CCC thermostat, what choices do I have for different makes of AC units (I'm guessing only Duo-therm/Dometic?)
2) Low profile or not???  (it seems to make sense, at least on the rear #3 unit)
3) stay with 13.5btu?
4) might you recommend a particular model? (I do not need/want heat strips)

Thanks much in advance!
Bryan
On the#2 unit take the cover off and look on the fan for dirtdobers that have built a mud home on it. That is quite common here in Tx, don’t know if they go that far North

Ed and Penny Thomas
Anna, TX
98 Newell
coach #490

Bryan: is the noise constant (whenever the fan runs) or dependant on the compressor running. I take it that other than height you are happy with number three.

For #2, is the vibration steady (think fan and comments in previous post) or compressor related (not much you can do to fix unless it is just vibration mounting has collapsed).

How much taller is the tall one. If it's just a couple inches, I personally try to never go where a couple inches would create a problem. I always am concerned about the absolute accuracy of reported measurements of overhead obstructions. I don't trust them and if it seems close, I won't go there unless there is no alternative and then my caution will wear out the patience of those behind me.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed