You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Echo Charger Puzzler (with solution)

Finally had time to check the alternator (it has the internal regulator) output with the engine running high idle. It’s 12.2V, same as battery. The ignition terminal shows 10.0V. I’m taking this as a dead alternator - agree?

Given the internal regulator, I’m thinking I should take it to a shop for further analysis in case a full replacement can be avoided. Any thoughts?
The unit is a Leece-Neville A0014947PA.

Cheers,
Chuck

2001 #579 ("Chester's Coach")

a follow up to my amp l start installation....

the way the original echo charger was wired was both the starting and house batteries wires to the echo charger came off the battery isolator in the same compartment as the charger. from the isolator to the echo charger the wires went to a fuse block with 15a blade fuses in it.

one of those was corroded that had caused a problem for me so i bypassed it. the other i left in place. the 15a fuse to the house battery would blow once in a while. so i replaced it with a 20a fuse and it still blows only occassionally. when it blows the starting batteries start to go low. thats how i know....ha

for now i put a 30a fuse in it. the install directions for the amp l start do not show any fuses. i contacted them and they said it does not need a fuse and if i wanted to put one in put an auto reset fuse in it.

that it did not surprise him that occassionally it would blow.

my two cents worth of experience.

btw, on my 99, the echocharger is in the bay with the inverter on the opposite wall right next to the dc fuse panel cover.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I thought I had left a report of my eventual resolution but don't see it here so will do now. I found a great automotive electrical shop in Silt, Colorado who did a full rebuild of the alternator/regulator. The regulator was fried, and we renewed all the mechanicals. Now all normal. Thanks again for the valuable info and troubleshooting.
Chuck

2001 #579 ("Chester's Coach")