You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Rear suspension

Still trying to get 469 bought. Now there is a problem with the drive axle I called Newell they said I have a dana suspension it is out of square. The distance from frame to outer tire is 1inch greater on the passenger side. Newell says that the bolts can be adjusted side to side by turning the indexing washer. I have called 3 shops nobody seems to know anything about this help please.

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell
Coach 459 45 foot 1 slide

Sure.

The drive axle is attached to the frame via two arms on each side. The move up and down in a parallelogram fashion so the axle stays straight as it moves up and down. Those arms are known as radius arms. The bolts that hold those arms to the chassis are eccentric. Meaning that as you turn them they are out of round, intentionally. The bolt head has a triangle on it to mark the high spot of the eccentric or cam. You can turn those and change the alignment of the axle to the chassis. That alignment is called the thrust angle.

If you look at those bolt heads, they will have a half moon shaped piece of steel tack welded to the frame to keep the bolt head from moving once the axle is aligned. That half moon has to be cut away to make any adjustment.

However, I suspect you are taking your measurement from the fender well or fender flare. I would not trust anything but an alignment rack to tell me if the axle were out of true. Are the rear tires worn in an uneven pattern? Does the coach pull drastically to one side when on the highway? If not, then I wouldn't worry about it. You will want to have the coach aligned when you put new shoes on it anyway.

I also think you may have some garbled info. 469 will most likely have a rockwell rear axle and a dana front end

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

OK thanks it was Newell that told me about the axle brand. I understand about the alignment but my main issue is the tire on the right side is almost touching the fender flair. The measurement I have is from the frame to the edge of the tire and that is where the 1inch shorter than the right. Thanks for the info and will keep working.

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell

You may want to have a shop do 3 axle alignment for you. Make sure they can handle longer wheel base that a coach/bus has. Newell has done ours in Miami. They do an excellent job. But, any good bus/heavy truck place closer to you should work fine.

Joe,

I am not sure that I am following you...but on that vintage coach, if the air bags are not inflated and at travel height.....the fenders will touch the tires.

Can you air the coach up and then take picture showing what you are seeing?

bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

If you are saying the axle is in line but shifted to one direction then that can be adjusted with the panhard bar. That’s the part that keeps the axle centered under the airbags. Because of the way the panhard bar works, if the coach is not at travel height then the axle will be shifted to one side.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Thanks I think we got it straight. Part of the problem was the height adjustment the other problem was the tourque rod wich I have changed,now waiting for the air bags to get in.

Joe Galowitch
1998 Newell