You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Shower

Very nice indeed!

As originally conceived the marble tile on the wall was going to go in "dry stacked"  without grout or grout lines. That didn't work out so good due to minor imperfections in the marble bricks in both dimension and thickness. I knew that with minor cracks and slightly protruding lippage that those were areas not suitable for a shower. 

Well what to do now? What to do now is why the completion post is SO far after the demolition posts. It wasn't much of a problem, although a bit messy, to grind the tiles down to a even surface. I used a side grinder and a 6 inch diamond grinder that people surface grind concrete with. Then, I bought a special polisher that feeds water to the center and uses diamond grit pad to smooth the surface. I figured it would be a bit tougher than wet sanding a car, but how tough could it be? I started with 50 grit pads, moved to 100, 200, 400, 800, 1600, 3000. Each progression was about four hours of holding the grinder on the wall with a bit of water splashing about. After 3000 grit, the marble was supposed to shine like a mirror according to U tube. 

It didn't. 

So, I did the last couple of grits again, thinking I didn't spend enough time. It still didn't shine, but boy do I have some arms by now. 

I bought some 10,000 grit pads. 

No shine. 

I tried 5000 grit wet dry paper, no shine
Car buffing compound, no shine.
Wax, shine but pits in surface. 
Epoxy, on a test tile of course, yucky. 

Finally I found a supplier for Marble polishing paste. It was expensive and stinky, but holy cow does it work. 

So here is the final product, and the pic that is NSFW. Pardon the tape while adhesive for the trim cures. 

[attachment=5505]

I have no idea why the pictures are sideways, they are upright on my computer.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Wow! What a job. Just the finishing would have finished me off.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Beautiful job, and you got to buy another tool! What's not to like?

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Richard that is beautiful.. ! You have given me the courage to tell my (shorter) story. I found the perfect shower at HomeLowes and spent hours building a circular base to support the fiberglass shower base. Only then did I realize it was too high to fit!!!!! I returned that one and bought a cheap neo-angle shower kit that will fit until I have the time and funds to do something nicer. The shower I have is a poly material. I was concerned about movement between the inner shower wall ( the east-west wall if the coach is pointed north-south) and the wall that mounts to the outside wall of the coach since there is a seam there on this shower surround. I devised a way to mount an inner plywood wall that is bonded to the inner ( east-west) wall and "floats" beside the outer wall. I'm curious if you see that as a problem? Did you fiberglass that inside corner on your installation?

1993 Newell (316) 45' 8V92,towing an Imperial open trailer or RnR custom built enclosed trailer. FMCA#232958 '67 Airstream Overlander 27' '67GTO,'76TransAm,'52Chevy panel, 2000 Corvette "Lingenfelter"modified, '23 Grand Cherokee.

Dean,

I did glass the corner. It has overlap from the two walls. The overlap was about 8 inches. While the epoxy was wet I tucked the cloth into the seam between the walls to act as an area that would have a little "give" to it.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad

richard, i added a version of your picture that is rightside up. left the other one since you seem to like to look at things sideways....ha

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Wow that is some awesome work - you guy's do fantastic work. I'm probably not going to show my wife this picture at all.
She would get some idea's that I'm pretty sure I couldn't do.
My 75 is going to get a very minor bathroom face lift. I like your idea of putting fiberglass on the walls to keep the water in the right spots. Mine looks like it's been sneaking around a lot. In the walls, under the drain pan,  I have the old stainless bottom plus with the small size of my shower and bathroom combo doors are probably not an option.
Again, awesomely awesome Smile

John and Marcia Marshall 
1975 Newell 30ft - 9.0 IHC
1986 Navstar 9.0 Diesel 160hp
98 Mustang GT
getting closer
ASE Master & Computer Admin
Love old tech  Idea

That looks AMAZING!!!!
Were you concerned with the added weight? Did you weight your coach before and after?

Thanks for sharing your pictures.

1988 40ft Newell Classic
8V92 TA Mechanic
Allison 740 (4 speed)

I wasn't concerned about weight. I have a little to spare on the drive and tag, plus I lost about 600 lbs with the LION batteries.

I will weigh the coach again just for grins.

99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad