You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Introduction

Hi all,

Just joined up as a result of reaching the conclusion that we aren't going to be satisfied with any other RV for our full timing vision. That puts us between a rock and a hard place; between those lenders who won't accommodate full timing and a debt/income ratio that's higher than is acceptable by those who will, we are left looking for a lease/purchase contract opportunity to make our dream come true. So if any of you who are selling coaches in the 2000-2004 range, and would like to transform your asset that you no longer need into a revenue stream and make more than you would over the term of the agreement than you would by selling it outright, we'd love to hear from you. I can be reached on 480-404-8876.

Looking forward to gaining the benefit of your experience and wisdom once we get on the road. Thanks for listening.

Bob Hughey

welcome bob

check your email

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

bob and his wife came by and spent 3 hours this afternoon and they are sharp, delightful people. they spent some time in my coach and clarkes and we just had a great time visiting.

bob is a retired EE and fits right in with us fanatical engineers

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks for the gracious words, Tom. That visit just more deeply confirmed our desire to acquire a Newell. Similar to Bobalou's post on his search questions, Michael's perspective on the 2000-2004 generation would be helpful to help us understand key features to either seek out or stay away from.

Welcome Bob,

Michael is THE expert on what features were available for which years. I wish that I had held out for a steerable tag (mid 2004 and newer), AND a washer and dryer. My coach was owned by a racing team (we call them race coaches) and it did not have a WD. Thought that I would not miss it but I do. The other thing that would have been nice is a bath and a half. I have mid bath which is entirely behind a slide door to the bedroom. If someone stays with me in coach on the sofa / hideabed they have to open the door to use the bathroom. Bath and a half solves this problem.

At the end of the day...it is all personal preference.

Good luck on your search!
bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Bob, somewhat fewer changes in the 2000-2004 models. 2000 was the change to the new 'smiley face' front end for Newell. As is typically the case there is an exception. The last 1999, #538 had the new front cap and some have had Newell change out their front caps from the per-2000 model year front cap to the newer front cap. Their were no significant body changes during that 2000-2003 but after #572, the first 2001, the dish of the tag wheels was reversed to that the hub was dished to the outside like the front wheels rather than being dished to the inside like the drive axle.

The 2000 model year started with coach #539. Most were 2 HWH hydraulic slides, with a Detroit Diesel Series 60 and an Allison 6 speed World Transmission. A variety of bathroom layouts were available, rear walk-in closet with mid-bath, rear bath and bath and a half. With the exception of #560 (41' 6") and #570 (46' 0") all 2000 model year Newells were 45' 8". Most 2000 Newells had the manual door hinged door but a few had the new, at that time, Bode Air Operated Entry door. There was one 2000 model with a single slide and several with triple slides (2 bedroom slides and one salon slide).

The 2001 models started with #572 and went through #607. Again all 2001's had HWH slides, independent front suspension, Detroit Diesel Series 60's and Allison 6 speed transmissions. #606 was the first Newell with a Front entry Air Operated Bode door. Again almost all were 45' 8" long. #594 was 45' 0", #595 was 42' 0", #596 was 46' 0", and #606 was 46' 8". Many were bath and a half with one interesting change in #593, the mid bath was a full bath and there was also a 1/2 mid bath and a rear closet.

2002 ran from #608-639. Most had either 3 or 4 HWH hydraulic slides with a few 2 slide units. The ratio of bath and a half coaches increased in 2002. Almost all were mid entry, although #627 was a front entry and almost all had the Bode Air Entry Door.

In 2003, Newell introduced their first coach with Valid electric slides in #645. The next four coaches had the HWH hydraulic slides but beginning with #650, to the best of my knowledge, all Newells were built with Valid electric slides. Most if not all 2003 models had the Bode Air Entry Door. There were only about 4 coaches 2 slides built in 2003, the remainder were triple or quad slides. Again the Detroit Diesel Series 60 and Allison 6 speed ruled.

See my previous post for 2004-2006 models http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=4110.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

(03-26-2018, 10:47 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  Welcome Bob,

Michael is THE expert on what features were available for which years.   I wish that I had held out for a steerable tag (mid 2004 and newer), AND a washer and dryer.  My coach was owned by a racing team (we call them race coaches) and it did not have a WD.  Thought that I would not miss it but I do.  The other thing that would have been nice is a bath and a half.  I have mid bath which is entirely behind a slide door to the bedroom.  If someone stays with me in coach on the sofa / hideabed they have to open the door to use the bathroom.  Bath and a half solves this problem.

At the end of the day...it is all personal preference.

Good luck on your search!
bill

I know this is Bob's thread (welcome fellow new(ell)bie!), but I wanted to add my thanks for your thoughts, Bill.  Always worthwhile hearing the specific input from those living with the coaches.

Robert
2002 Prevost Liberty XLII, Series 60
IG: @thisisbobalou

(03-26-2018, 12:14 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  Bob, somewhat fewer changes in the 2000-2004 models. 2000 was the change to the new 'smiley face' front end for Newell. As is typically the case there is an exception. The last 1999, #538 had the new front cap and some have had Newell change out their front caps from the per-2000 model year front cap to the newer front cap.  Their were no significant body changes during that 2000-2003 but after #572, the first 2001, the dish of the tag wheels was reversed to that the hub was dished to the outside like the front wheels rather than being dished to the inside like the drive axle.

The 2000 model year started with coach #539. Most were 2 HWH hydraulic slides, with a Detroit Diesel Series 60 and an Allison 6 speed World Transmission. A variety of bathroom layouts were available, rear walk-in closet with mid-bath, rear bath and bath and a half. With the exception of #560 (41' 6") and #570 (46' 0") all 2000 model year Newells were 45' 8". Most 2000 Newells had the manual door hinged door but a few had the new, at that time, Bode Air Operated Entry door. There was one 2000 model with a single slide and several with triple slides (2 bedroom slides and one salon slide).

The 2001 models started with #572 and went through #607. Again all 2001's had HWH slides, independent front suspension, Detroit Diesel Series 60's and Allison 6 speed transmissions. #606 was the first Newell with a Front entry Air Operated Bode door. Again almost all were 45' 8" long. #594 was 45' 0", #595 was 42' 0", #596 was 46' 0",  and #606 was 46' 8".  Many were bath and a half with one interesting change in #593, the mid bath was a full bath and there was also a 1/2 mid bath and a rear closet.

2002 ran from #608-639. Most had either 3 or 4 HWH hydraulic slides with a few 2 slide units. The ratio of bath and a half coaches increased in 2002. Almost all were mid entry, although #627 was a front entry and almost all had the Bode Air Entry Door.

In 2003, Newell introduced their first coach with Valid electric slides in #645. The next four coaches had the HWH hydraulic slides but beginning with #650, to the best of my knowledge, all Newells were built with Valid electric slides. Most if not all 2003 models had the Bode Air Entry Door. There were only about 4 coaches 2 slides built in 2003, the remainder were triple or quad slides. Again the Detroit Diesel Series 60 and Allison 6 speed ruled.

See my previous post for 2004-2006 models http://newellgurus.com/showthread.php?tid=4110.

Michael,

Thanks so much for that impressive display of product details for the period I asked about. I now have a much better feel for the time frames to focus on for getting some features rather than others. What a treasure you are for forum members, particularly novices like me.

Glad to be of service.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com