You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Kohler gen. lesson learned...

Just something to share...
My Kohler gen decided to not stay running after releasing the switch that starts it, about a year ago. So after several attempts to repair this, talking with Robert at Newell, Gordon (Genman), all with no success. I finally found the problem, and wanted to share with the Gurus. 
Maybe some of you have already experienced this? 
The whole time thinking I had a fuel solenoid issue, it was not. 
This whole time I was jamming in a block of wood to push in the solenoid rod to keep it running. McGyver style. Lol
The gen is a bit tough to get to on my 1996, especially the manual start switch and fuses located at the rear. So, recently I pulled the 2 fuses near the manual start switch to check them, thinking there were only 2 fuses to check, low and behold there are 3! One is below the other 2, and very hard to see, you almost need to "feel" for it. Only then realising that the fuse cap and fuse were gone! Rattled out obviously. Wow, I felt silly, and certainly not the first time, as most of you have likely felt during your time with your Newell. 
(I hope I'm not alone here) 
Anyway, could not find the right fuse cap anywhere except Ebay finally. Got it, installed it and Eurika! I worked perfect. 
So bottom line, the fuse caps have the ability to rattle out, so now the issue is to prevent that from happening. 
So double check your fuses!
Any suggestions would be great. 
I thought of 200 MPH tape, but that would get sticky!

John, Sheri & Lily Kai Curwick
1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

John,

The only thing to be aware of, is that when you jammed the fuel solenoid open, you defeated the low oil pressure and high water temperature safety shutdowns.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(04-05-2018, 09:46 AM)Richard Wrote:  John,

The only thing to be aware of, is that when you jammed the fuel solenoid open, you defeated the low oil pressure and high water temperature safety shutdowns.

Richard,
Thank you for that information, I won't be doing that again!
I wouldn't have thought that that could happen. 
I have learned so much, but know so little. 
Still a Newell journeyman.
Thank you for all you do, for all of us!

1996 Newell #406, 2015 Jeep Rubicon Hard Rock, FJ Cruiser, Harley Fatboy. 35 CABO Express Tongue

hi john, if you use the quick reply or the new reply option, it wont repeat the former post in your response. of course unless that is what you would like to do

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Thanks Tom, 
Did not know that.

John maybe if you used a hot glue gun for putting on the fuse caps would work but still allow you to remove it with out much if any of the sticky you were concerned about, if you can get at it with one.

Chris and Randee
#521 45'8"
1999 2 slide