You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

#1442 2012 SOLD

Quad slide, 45'8", Cummins ISX 650 HP, Allison 6 speed, bath and a half, 34,000 miles, king bed
. One Owner

http://premiumcoachgroup.com/product/201...-stunning/

[Image: 2012Newell450W-1-1.jpg]

[Image: 2012Newell450W-10.jpg]

[Image: 2012Newell450W-22.jpg]

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Hi. I am new here and have thinking about a used Newell, maybe in the 1400s - like this one. It seems the ones you would buy from the factory (and are new enough) have a warranty. I would want that. I have heard of late model Cummins engines going to pieces ....

My questions are:

- What does Newell actually sell their used rigs for? I noticed a wide variety of prices on their site. And then if you compared them to RV Trader or the like, you get an even bigger spread.

- And what quality of used RVs are those that are on the for sales sites? I have seen one 2013 rig (mentioned on this forum) sit on RV Trader for a year. With the RV economy what it is you would think Newells would be scapped up.

Thanks again!

Newell does offer a factory warranty on pre-owned coaches they sell that are less than a certain age (I believe it used to be about 7 years old but you would need to check with Newell to confirm that). Here is a link to their warranty http://newellcoach.com/wp-content/upload...rranty.pdf

As you can tell, like most RV's, the price on their pre-owned coaches vary based on demand, how long they have had it on the lot, how much they allowed for it on a trade in, etc. If you buy for a private owner, you will be your own warranty. Most of the Newell on their lot were traded in on new or newer Newells. The Newells for sale on internet sites are typically either consignments or privately owned models. Without a warranty, maintenance records become a more important issue.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

... I suppose it is the wildly different prices I don't understand. With the economy good, I would think that 1474 would be priced more than 1442, that a good economy would level prices, and they would move. I just suspect there is something about the Newell economy I don't understand Smile Back to 1474 ("the last 2013" you chronicled) - you could say fabrics are different, but someone could change those for a few thousand dollars. Maybe the tires are original on this rig, I can't read the codes, but that is maybe 12 thousand dollars.

Eric

Eric,
"No two Newells are alike"  You can't put production coach logic to pricing coaches that are totally custom.  One coach may have cost thousands of dollars more than another coach being built at the same time due to the different options.  My coach was in the factory being built at the same time as a friend and his coach is nothing like mine including how the engine is configured.  As an example my builder paid $5,000 extra to have Newell upholster the furniture in a leather that he provided.  The options are never ending when you consider they do individual custom work designed by the person ordering the coach.

My advice is go look at a number of Newells and what I just wrote will become very clear and you will understand why one coach is priced more than another.  Also just like shopping used cars, condition and maintenance are reflected in the price.  The two year warranty that Newell provides on coaches eight model years old and newer is also figured into the price.

You might want to up your estimate of changing fabrics as just a bedspread is as much as $2,000.

Good luck............................

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

There is a difference in body styles between 1442 (P2000i) and 1474 (2020P). That said, since there is no NADA/Blue Book listing on Newells, the market price is somewhat more difficult to lock in on than an RV that does have a Blue Book listing. I have seen early 1990's Newells listed with a difference in asking price of more than 2 to 1.

A comment on the 'change fabrics for a few thousand dollars'. I think you might be surprised at the cost of the materials Newell uses. Doing minor changes in the interior while keeping the Newell quality materials and craftsmanship can cost tens of thousands of dollars.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

I can assure you that Newell will wheel and deal on the used coaches. With perhaps few exceptions, you should not be paying anywhere close to the price you see listed on their web site.

A lot of the steeper-discounted ones have tons of miles or "unusual" choices in layout, finishes, or something else. They are each like a Fabergé egg. Smile

2008 Newell #1234
Boulder, CO

(07-06-2018, 01:51 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  There is a difference in body styles between 1442 (P2000i) and 1474 (2020P). That said, since there is no NADA/Blue Book listing on Newells, the market price is somewhat more difficult to lock in on than an RV that does have a Blue Book listing. I have seen early 1990's Newells listed with a difference in asking price of more than 2 to 1.

A comment on the 'change fabrics for a few thousand dollars'. I think you might be surprised at the cost of the materials Newell uses. Doing minor changes in the interior while keeping the Newell quality materials and craftsmanship can cost tens of thousands of dollars.

I know that designer remodels would be expensive, on the one hand.  But some of these just have polkadot pillows that could be changed out.  And changing a bed spread, well .... if changing that fixed it I would put the old one in storage and go to Bed, Bath and Beyond  Rolleyes

I know that price and desireablity are subjective, but I think there is another thing - something that transcends fabric choice or price.  These Newells are really beautiful, or they can be.  On the other hand, when you start with a blank slate you can have some of these rigs that are homely.   

For example, IMHO there are some really fabulous paint jobs on the exterior.  Also I have seen what I consider gorgeous interiors that pop.  Others not so much.  

I have seen some Newells which are 5 or 8 years old that come with service contracts.  For me, even with any pre-inspection I would get, I would be worried about grand failures.  Like I think I alluded to in my first post, the Cummins ISX had several reported problems that could be fatal to the motor.  And I do not know about the other, many, systems.

Thanks for all the feedback!

(07-06-2018, 01:51 PM)Fulltiming Wrote:  There is a difference in body styles between 1442 (P2000i) and 1474 (2020P). That said, since there is no NADA/Blue Book listing on Newells, the market price is somewhat more difficult to lock in on than an RV that does have a Blue Book listing. I have seen early 1990's Newells listed with a difference in asking price of more than 2 to 1.

... again, not sure why the 2020P is priced so much less, and been on the market for a year.  Except for those pesky subjectives.  Thanks,  Shy

EK

(07-06-2018, 02:24 PM)Nebster Wrote:  I can assure you that Newell will wheel and deal on the used coaches.  With perhaps few exceptions, you should not be paying anywhere close to the price you see listed on their web site.

A lot of the steeper-discounted ones have tons of miles or "unusual" choices in layout, finishes, or something else.  They are each like a Fabergé egg.  Smile

Thanks,  It would be great if there was a "prices paid" info resource.  And.  And.  And some transparency about what maintenance costs really are.  If I buy a Lexus car, I can pretty much figure what it will cost me a year.

I think the "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" only applies when the info is scarce.

Now I know that these things are rare, but they are machines.  And you can postulate what it costs to run a machine.  I am sure businesses that buy these things have cost estimates for going forward.

I am a newbie I know, but I am not crazy about those 2000 dollar bed spreads!  

I really appreciate the curved wood Newell uses.  I see similar wood in Foretravels.

But I think that Newells are much more handsome on the outside.  The FTs are generally completely square on profile.

But,  I am not crazy about most of the super gloss finishes on those  interior woods.  You see this shine in run of the mill RVs ....  A more rough, southern pine, in a matte finish would be different.  I would like to see it.

In general I know my wife always prefers "non-RV" colors and decorator themes.