You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator slide out on 86 Classic

I see similar threads regarding generator slideout , but I think I may have a different situation. Coach has a 12.5 Kohler / Perkins . I was finally able to get the gen slide moving , but it stopped after a few inches . Sliding it back and forth it got better by degrees , but still stops well before the engine is far enough out to service . It's obvious that the exhaust is the hang up , bulkhead is flexing when I tug on it ( not a lot of force left in me ) . It appears that the pipe from the manifold slips into a larger pipe which is flush with the bulkhead. Is there a coupler that has to be unbolted ? I can find no mention of anything in the coach manual. There is a stay at the rear of the engine that has been broken for a long time , evidently someone has been down this road . 
I read the post about unbolting at the silencer , but the pictures appear completely different to my configuration.
Thanks, Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

Our '84 had an exhaust clamp which had to be removed before the gen would slide out. Not sure if this was factory or work by a po. Regardless, it was just a matter of sliding under the coach and taking the clamp loose. Just need someone to slide it back in while you align the exhaust.

Phil & Sharon
1999 511  41.5

My 86 does not have a clamp there, but someone had welded a stop that I had to grind off to get the generator pulled out more that a half foot.

Jon & Chris Everton
1986 40' Dog House #86
450 hp ISM 5 spd ZF Ecomat 2
2004 Range Rover L322 Toad

my 90 had no stop. the pipes just slid inside each other. the stationary coach side had a indented flange on it that muffler rope went in and then with anti seize on the sliding piece just slid inside i believe my 02 is the same, but not sure

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

My '87 has a pipe fixed to the engine that slides inside another pipe fixed to the chassis.

Has been working fine for the 3 years I have had it.

1987 classic #159
8V92 MUI , Allison 740

Is it possible that the broken stay at the rear of the engine is the problem? In other words, the two pipes must be in alignment and parallel for one to slide inside the other. It sounds like this slip joint is binding. Is the generator coming straight out or is it sagging at the front or rear?

It is a simple slip joint. You could force it out by tugging on it with the car, or a come along. But if the two pipes are misaligned just be aware that you WILL be fixing whatever caused the misalignment before the generator will slide back in

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

A PO changed ours out to a 2" flex pipe looped inside the area. nice job with a fibre type fireproof cloth cover. Seems to work fine.

Mark and Marian

1986 #125   (left us for a new home in Oregon)
1999 Wanderlodge LX40
1979 Mc 8 6V92
Pace 28' stacker

Regina Beach SK  Maricopa AZ

Thanks for all the good information regarding generator exhaust . Turns out mine is a slip fit deal . Working it back and forth I have been able to get the slide out within 9 or 10 inches of max travel , good enough to service the engine and work on the starter ( bendix kicks out ). At a later date I plan to remove the generator and refurbish the compartment , the flex pipe sounds like a good idea to install when the unit is out.
Appreciate the input , hope everyone at the Rally is having a great time !
Chris

1986 #89
VIN 007
Detroit 8V92 TA 475 HP
Allison four speed 
Chris and Sharon Hand

on my 90 to get the genny out, i had to remove the front connection of the air ram. if the pipe was binding for the exhaust, it would stop the genny from going in or out

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH