You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Some questions

This link was recently posted as an example of a coach that would be within our budget: http://www.rvt.com/rvdetail5014717.htm

While we can't buy anything (yet) I'm trying to learn all I can. As I understand things, Newells of this vintage generally use the air bags to level the coach at the camp site (Foretravel does, too), rather than jacks ('Birds). I prefer the Newell/Foretravel system.

Questions:

1. Is there an air compressor that periodically runs to keep the bags inflated when parked?

2. When leveling at the campsite, is all of the air dumped, and then bags inflated to level the coach, or is air let out of bags to level the coach? It would seem to be that the former would put the entry step closer to the ground.

3. What sort of safety device do you use when replacing the bags or working on the air system? Some of the Foretravel guys have made brackets that will take the weight of the coach (one bracket by each bag) which keeps the coach from suddenly dropping. The 'Bird guys have a different air system, and they use some really heavy jacks.

4. This summer I saw a fairly new coach (didn't catch a brand) with a tag axle in Sam's. When the driver wanted to make a sharp turn he was able to raise the tag axle. Would a Newell such as the one above have that feature?

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
Build 4371

Answers are at to my 2001 Newell:
1. Yes, there is a 120v compressor that runs periodically to provide air for the bags and other needs, and a 12v backup for the door, commode, etc.
2. I do not dump my air when leveling. I double press the leveling button and the computer takes care of the rest. But i guess the bags would need to be dumped for long term storage when power is not available.
3. I have not had to support the coach, and hope that I can get to a shop that can perform this work. I cannot see me replacing the bags myself. If I have to raise the coach using the tires, I plan to bolt together several layers of 1" plywood to support the footprint of each tire.
4. I can drain the air from my tags, but not raise them. When making sharp turns, I am not concerned about tag tire wear because the tires will most likely be replaced due to age and not wear. I once inadvertently started to drive the coach with the tag switch set to dump, and low and behold, my drive air bags would not inflate. Skinned up the rear of my coach.

As to your question regarding hydraulic jacks, I had them on other coaches and prefer to have them since they will raise the coach much higher than the bags and in some cases, will lift the tires off of the ground. On the other hand, the weight of my Newell at 25 tons may limit the use of jacks and jacks large enough to raise it would make the coach even heavier that it need to be.

2001 Newell #579
tow a Honda Odyssey
fun car: 1935 Mercedes 500K replica

Thanks, Chester. Sounds like each manufacturer does things a bit differently. Both 'Bird and Foretravel owners have said that replacing the bags is a pretty straightforward job, once the coach is safely supported. I've learned that some of those "straightforward" jobs can require quite a bit of effort and head scratching.

I wouldn't trust ANY jack system to hold the coach up while I'm under it. I want something strong and solid supporting it before I put my fat self under it.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40'
Build 4371

David, I have driven a couple of early 1990 coaches that had the air leveler AND HWH hydraulic jacks. The factory did this at the owners request but is the exception rather than the rule. I would not want to get under a coach supported by built-in hydraulic jacks either. The safest answer to to add large wood cripping or use industrial grade jack stands that are adequately weight rated to support the weight.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com