You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

King of the Road height control valves

I have been a long term fan of these all metal HCVs. I have installed them on two coaches and never touched them after the initial setting.

Over the years, I have had several Newell owners tell me that they bought them and they didn't work on their coach.  Hmmmmmmmm.

At the no rally rally a new owner asked that we look at his coach because the ride height was inconsistent. He also said he had new KOTR HCVs. If he lowered the coach and then put in travel, the backend would not raise. If he raised the coach and then went to travel, the rear  remained in the raise position.   Looking into the wheel wells showed the HCVs were mounted upside down. And no leveling function whatsoever.

But, the KOTR valves are specified as right and left valves. The upside down valves were on the correct side of the coach according to their part numbers. But........simply turning them right side up made them not fit at all. What..........

Quick trip to my rig, and lo and behold I have the right on the left and the left on the right. Meaning I don't read the instructions often, but my setup works.

So we flip flopped the valves and got the coach road ready.

I sent a nice love letter to the KOTR engineer asking him what was up with their literature. The short version if the response, on a Saturday no less, was that the right and left designation is for which way the arm faces, not the side the valve mounts on.  Five year mystery solved for me, and hopefully less confusion in the future.

It doesn't forgive the shop,that originally installed them and didn't bother to see if they worked.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

As a newbie...HCV = ?? (Height Control Valve?)

Robert
2002 Prevost Liberty XLII, Series 60
IG: @thisisbobalou

Yes.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,

Great story especially with the happy ending.

Tells us that we should always test the thing that just got fixed. (Just in case).

I can’t imagine the coach being drivable like it was.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

Sorry, Richard, I missed the thread title, earlier. (face palm emoji)

Robert
2002 Prevost Liberty XLII, Series 60
IG: @thisisbobalou

(05-12-2018, 06:40 PM)BobALou Wrote:  Sorry, Richard, I missed the thread title, earlier. (face palm emoji)

I had newell put my KOR valves on and had the same problem did not know it until now.Newell was scrambling to get me out of there on a Thursday afternoon and we were running out of time so they just put their valves on and away I went confused.Thanks to Richard for figuring this out.Now I have spares that will work that I thought were junk.

1995 # 390

Thanks to Richard for saving my "rear end".

Joe & Darlene Roark
2007 Newell #1212
2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited

Richard,

Does this relate to the ones we put on my coach? I believe mine were facing the opposite direction than most if I recall.

2002 45'8" Triple Slide #639

Now the part #s and the whole situation makes sense with their explanation of the arm being the designator.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Saturday, the 12th was a very eventful day. Richard guided me through changing my two front air bags. Newell shipped them out on the 11th and went them on the 13 th at noon. without Richards expertise, I'd still be working on them. took us about two hours to install and test the system..

Richard, you are genius and a caring friend, thank you, again.

Ron Gripon
2003 coach 660-F150 
2005 Porsche Boxster