You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Generator run issue

One thing I forgot to mention, when we hit the start switch, I don't see the solenoid pull in at all, but when we release the start switch it pushes out, is that normal?
Mike M.

1995 Newell Series 60

@"HoosierDaddy" is spot on, it is on or very near the generator head (as it is sometimes called).  The leads from the generator are not long from the manufacturer so the connection box will be close by.  In the case of a Martin, it is the box holding the circuit breaker.  Remove the cover and inspect inside.  If you are familiar with a voltmeter, start the set with the cover off and measure the voltage on the leads from the inside of the generator.  BE CAREFUL since there is some voltage there that could hurt you.

I have never seen a push to stop solenoid so I'm suspecting it moves fast enough that you don't see it pull in.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

I've attached a pic of the monitor panel while I had the generator running today.  What you can't tell from the pic is the upper lights (L1-240v.-L2) were blinking ever so slightly.  Also, today the cooling fan came on when I started the genset.....it didn't do that yesterday.  I have the fuel solenoid unhooked and I'm starting and stopping the engine manually on the pump.
I don't know if any of this gives a clue as to my problem, but maybe Gordon will have an idea.
Mike M.

1995 Newell Series 60

a couple of my lights on that panel flicker. they go bad fairly often. how do you know you are not getting 20v?

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I would believe the meters before neon pilot lamps.  The meters are connected to L1 and neutral and L2 and neutral showing voltage on each leg ,  the voltage is 240 between L1 & L2 although not shown on a meter (adding L1 & L2 together).   If the fan is running then you have 240V.  It is suspect that there is something making the fan intermittent and is worth looking into.  Take the cover off of the connection box and look inside.

Take a picture of the control box (I think you have one of the older style controls).  It will be in a gray box 10" x 6" x 4" deep with a round multi pin connector, no meters or lights.  The more pictures of what you have,  the easier it will be for me to help you find your problem.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567

Jorma,
Did you ever get your generator running properly??

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve,
Gordon gave me a test to perform that I'm going to do today which should point me in the right direction.
Thanks for asking.
Mike M.

1995 Newell Series 60

Just to let everyone know we fixed my generator issue this weekend.  My race car mechanic (who is good at everything) took about 30 minutes to find the problem which ended up being a bad connection on the plug that runs to the fuel cut solenoid.  Thanks to everyone who responded to this thread and offered suggestions.  Now, I just have to figure out why one of my A/C's and the refrigerator are not working!
Mike M.
near St. Louis

1995 Newell Series 60