You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Dripping water in bedroom

We have a drip that is speeding up in the bedroom.  We ran the AC all last night and it wasn’t working well.  We turned it off earlier today hoping to get someone out on Monday to take a look at it.  My assumption is it froze up.  I assume the ice is melting and causing the drip.

Some information- I have 4 roof AC units two front two back.  One of the two in back was not working and now it appears the other one in the back has stopped and is the cause of the leak.  The leak is near    the vents.

My questions:  do I turn it on to freeze it back up and try to stop the leak until someone can get out here?  Do I leave it off and just let it melt and limit the damage?  If the leak is near the vents does that lend credence to the melting ice theory and it is following that path?  What is above the ceiling?  With a one time leak like this do I need to take ceiling down or just dry it out good once air is working?
Can this wait till Monday if I can handle the temperatures?  Finally a f not, I don’t know about Emergency RV mobile repair in Foley Alabama.  Has anyone used a regular AC technician for RV air issues?   Anything you think I should know or do that I haven’t mentioned.

Thanks!

Rob & Di Mills 
2004 Newell Coach #680

Rob,
I would start by removing the interior cover that covers the interior a/c unit.  Remove the cover that holds the filter.  Do an inspection of where the water is coming from rather than assuming.

Next I would go on the roof, remove the a/c exterior cover & see if the unit is freezing up.

After step 1 & 2 you should know what you need.  

"do I turn it on to freeze it back up and try to stop the leak until someone can get out here?"

IF IT IS FREEZING UP & MELTING DOWN THROUGH THE UNIT, the only thing that should be wet is the ceiling a/c interior cover.  Easily dried out with a hair drier.

"Do I leave it off and just let it melt and limit the damage?"  

IF IT IS FROZE UP, I would shut it off and let the ice melt.  Catch the water with a towel.  Then turn back on and see if it freezes again.

This is where I would start and what I would do.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Steve thanks! Taking a look today and will update with my findings.

Rob & Di Mills 
2004 Newell Coach #680

May be as simple as a dirty filter.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

" Taking a look today and will update with my findings."

Since you are at the rally, you have plenty of on site help available.  Has your issue[s] been resolved?????

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

And.......................................................................    

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Number three roof top iced up. Number one set point 3 degrees higher than number three. Number 2 and 4 inadvertently disabled by the notorious aqua hot switch. Number three fan speed on low.

Enabled all four units. Turned fan speed to high. Owners report no further icing.

But were wearing overcoats at last siting.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )