You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Kwikee step

the step has stopped going in and out  worked about noon and later, no workeee. checked the known fuses and power. the light for the door work and the light for the step is on. 

any suggestions. already tired of doing barrel rolls getting out and slipping and busting my rear on the entry.

Ron Gripon
2003 coach 660-F150 
2005 Porsche Boxster

at least one simple thing to check...it has happened to me a couple of time.....that is to spray lubricant on all the joints. mine had gotten gunked up and it was enough to stop it.

also, on our coaches with the bode air door, the switch to have the steps come out is part of the relays that are in the compartment next to the door. one time one of the relays got knocked and was loose and my steps didnt work. there are microswitches on the door that trigger the relays to open and close the steps

there is a troubleshooting manual for the steps on the kwikee site and may even be in our documents section

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

I don’t have an air door so this might not apply to you but....

The plunger switch that calls for the steps to go out has been a source of trouble for me. In my case the switch had a dead spot that would essentially tell the steps that the door was open (while driving). I fixed with a piece of Velcro that avoided the dead spot.

So find the switch that tells to steps to do their thing and check the wiring.

Bill

Bill Johnson
Birmingham, Alabama

(05-16-2018, 04:21 AM)bikestuff Wrote:  I don’t have an air door so this might not apply to you but....

The plunger switch that calls for the steps to go out has been a source of trouble for me.  In my case the switch had a dead spot that would essentially tell the steps that the door was open (while driving).  I fixed with a piece of Velcro that avoided the dead spot.

So find the switch that tells to steps to do their thing and check the wiring.

Bill

I actually just replaced that switch last week. We came to road construction stop. While waiting for the automated one way light, we heard the steps go out and come back in! Ack! I was able to reproduce the dead spot in the switch by repeatedly pushing it in and out and twisting it around a bit on the in position. I'm just glad that we were stopped when it happened and able to hear it versus passing a truck or some other close or raised object and ripping a substantial hole in the side of the coach.

When I originally went to look at 540, the steps had stopped working during the PO's drive out to meet us. They had to replace the motor, which I believe they said was just a wiper motor. On 540, there's a connector between the motor and Kwikee controls. If the grease doesn't fix it, you might disconnect there and look for voltage to isolate between a controller issue or a motor issue.

Paul
Coach #540
2000 Double Slide, Bath and a half, Average sized fan for its age
Fulltiming for a while around CO

This does not apply to Ron’s problem (I don't think), but my steps were going in and out while underway.  I checked several things with no luck, called Cresslie,  he hooked me up with one of the floor guys.  He said this is a common problem for swing door coaches, the switch contacts are at their limit of travel and as the coach flexes the contacts make and break causing the problem.  The solution is to cut a piece of .090 aluminum (or thicker) to match the switch’s back side as a spacer.  I did that and it has stopped the erroneous action.

Went to the rally no rally (about 1700 miles) without any issues.

Gordon Jones
2000-45'-2slide-#567