You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Service alert

These problems can be really frustrating and challenge our sanity. It will all work out.

The light has power continually provided to it by a common power source used all over the dash, what causes the light to turn on and off is whether or not the ground side is connected to ground by a relay that is triggered by the Allison ECU. You had indicated earlier that there was no voltage at the light. Without voltage to the light there is nothing for the Allison ECU to turn on and off. The electrical supply to that light is supplied by the chassis electrical and does not involve any Allison stuff.

If I were in your situation I would follow the power side wire from the bulb, it's an orange wire (the ground side is purple) in my 93 coach, testing at connection points for voltage until I found the open in the circuit. You can test the ground side, in the absence of voltage on the power side, by checking continuity to ground during initial startup or by throwing the "check trans" switch.

I had an instance in which a "check" light never came on until I found the power to it had been disconnected. I hooked up the power and the light would never shut off (probably the reason for the power wire being pulled. It turned out that the relay grounding the light was welded. I replaced the relay and had to rehook up the power before the light finally behaved properly. The techs probably tested at the relay and using a test box triggered it on and off through the ECU and declared it working properly (after replacing the defective one) and assumed that was the problem and never looked at the light itself.

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed

But Jon, there had to be power to the light when i took it in because that's what prompted me to go in the first place. The light was on all the time. They replaced the relay and now no power. Am I missing something? I wish I were better at this electrical stuff. Thanks for your patience.

94 Newell #365, 2009 Smart, 2005 500SL, 2012 ML350, 1934 Ford Streetrod Golf Cart, 1958 Century Coronado, 1965 Cruisers Inc. Car and Boat CrazyTongue

I have no idea why there was power and there isn't now. The fact that you can't find power now is the problem now to be solved. Perhaps as you trace the power wire you will be be able to infer what caused the loss to occur. You are close to getting it all solved I believe

Jon Kabbe
1993 coach 337 with Civic towed