You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

"Steerable tag 45' steers like non-steerable 42' " -- what is the number?
Question 

Can anyone put a number on the difference in turning radius that the steerable tag axle makes? Or, put another way, does a 45' steerable tag coach turn like a 42' non-steerable coach (or perhaps some number other than 42')? Or perhaps it doesn't work quite that way.

One thing I really liked about my 45' Mountain Aire was the 58 degree front wheel cut (I think it was 58 degrees - perhaps only 57). But it made the coach turn better than my previous 42' Mountain Aire, hence my question.

Seeking a 4-slider with steerable tag, probably pre-2007. 
Previous Newmar Mountain Aire owner.
My other RV is a Cessna Skymaster

I've read that it's a 37ft turning radius, but I don't know that to be fact, and not sure how that would compare to fixed tag.

Robert
2002 Prevost Liberty XLII, Series 60
IG: @thisisbobalou

... or is it a moot point because if you dump the air from the tag axle, the turning radius is even smaller, even without the steerable tag (due to shortening the effective wheelbase)?

I've watched a 45' steer tag drive around the crowded parking lot at MOT and was amazed at how easy it was for it to maneuver. My 45' non-tag would have had to make a 3 or more point turn. Most don't bother dumping air from the tag since I never found it to make any noticeable difference.

Forest & Cindy Olivier
1987 log cabin
2011 Roadtrek C210P
PO 1999 Foretravel 36'
1998 Newell 45' #486 

1993 Newell 39' #337 

Newell claims that a 45' with a steerable tag axle turns in a slightly smaller circle than a 40' Newell without a steerable tag axle.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com

Thanks Michael. That kind of implies that there is some advantage to it, beyond what you would get from simply shortening the wheelbase by lifting the tag axle. Since tag axle is about 4 feet behind the drive axle (if I remember correctly), lifting the tax all the way should only shorten the effective wheelbase by 2', and even then it would only be that much if the weight was evenly distributed between drive and tag (which it usually isn't).

So if Newell is right, and it reduces the effective wheelbase by 5' or even more, that implies a significant advantage to the steerable tag.

I'm still not sure I should be making a buy/no-buy decision based on steer-ability of the tag axle, but it's at least good to know there is some value to it beyond "hey, cool!".

Dan

like has been said, once you get to somewhere in the 2004 model year they all become steerable tags. also a pretty good premium over non steerable tag coaches.

if you are going clear up to 2006 all of them will be steerable tags.

the other difference is in 2004 they went to valid electric slides.

tom

2002 45'8" Newell Coach 608  Series 60 DDEC4/Allison World 6 Speed HD4000MH

Tom is correct. Coaches #671, 681, 685, and 697 and higher had steerable tag axles. No coach prior to the 2004 model year had the steerable tag axle (ZF suspension) and 15 of the 38 model year 2004's did not have steerable tags. The steerable tag axle was part of the change over to a completely new suspension by ZF for tag, drive and front axles. So the entire suspension was changed.

The change over from HWH hydraulic slides to Valid electric slides occurred during the 2003 model year. #645, then #650 on had the Valid slides.

The next change was the major body style change in 2005 from the 2000 to the 2000i beginning with coach #722.

Michael Day
1992 Newell 43.5' #281
NewellOwner.com