You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Detroit S60 have PTO problems?

Question for Newell owners. How does your PTO system work for your hydraulic system. Does your PTO run off the transmission or engine?  I know bluebird ran their system off the transmission and the majority were greased splines and not a wet system. They seem to have quite a few failures. Do any of you have the same system or have you had any problems. Seems like when bluebird had the Detroit S60 they went to this PTO system. I don’t know if Newell ever used this type of set up.
thanks

Johnny
Former   1987 Newell series 60
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

Hyd pumps run directly from the engine

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

(06-01-2018, 06:26 PM)Richard Wrote:  Hyd pumps run directly from the engine

Thanks Richard, that puts that worry to rest. On the Bluebird you always knew at some point it was going to go and leave you stranded.

Johnny
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks

Not sure how to take that comment. But it paints a picture of your mechanical knowledge.
It is true that there have been failures of the spline shaft in the PTO drive on some series 60 Wanderlodges. I would say that most of the failures are in buses that are almost 20 years old. My understanding is that the system was also used on some Monaco, and other "high end" motor homes. The problem is fretting. It appears that limiting time at idle will reduce this issue. If the series 60s in the Newells use a spline shaft to drive their hydraulic pump, I suspect that they would come under the same stresses.
Apparently the Prevosts use a gear box to drive their fan, that is run by a belt off the engine. My understanding is that these gearboxes are subject to failure as well.
Another isssue is getting a replacement PTO and pump. They are available, but it can take several weeks to get one. The Wanderlodge Owners Group has bought one and keeps it in stock, to avoid this delay if someone needs one. I assume that whatever pump Newell uses is held in stock at Newell. That is handy, but I suspect expensive.
Bottom line is things that get used wear out. I think that there are issues with Wanderlodges that are a result of them lasting longer than their design life.

Peter Haggins
Courtenay BC
Canada
96 Wanderlodge 42' Mid Door

(06-02-2018, 07:44 AM)hagcam Wrote:  Not sure how to take that comment. But it paints a picture of your mechanical knowledge.
It is true that there have been failures of the spline shaft in the PTO drive on some series 60 Wanderlodges. I would say that most of the failures are in buses that are almost 20 years old. My understanding is that the system was also used on some Monaco, and other "high end"  motor homes.  The problem is fretting. It appears that limiting time at idle will reduce this issue. If the series 60s in the Newells use a spline shaft to drive their hydraulic pump, I suspect that they would come under the same stresses.
Apparently the Prevosts use a gear box to drive their fan, that is run by a belt off the engine. My understanding is that these gearboxes are subject to failure as well.
Another isssue is getting a replacement PTO and pump. They are available, but it can take several weeks to get one. The Wanderlodge Owners Group has bought one and keeps it in stock, to avoid this delay if someone needs one. I assume that whatever pump Newell uses is held in stock at Newell. That is handy, but I suspect expensive.
Bottom line is things that get used wear out. I think that there are issues with Wanderlodges that are a result of them lasting longer than their design life.

Peter,
Please don’t take my comments as a bad thing. I have had 3 Bluebirds and all exceptional coaches. I raise the question because I once had a 1999 bluebird Wanderlodge LXI with the S 60 engine and it had the PTO set up as I was questioning about. I was just curious if Newell had the same setup. I never had the problem with the PTO, but I did not like the design of the Chelsea PTO. I have had just about every Diesel engine and none of them have had a PTO problem like the bluebird S60. There is no question Bluebird is a fine built coach. The WOG is a great forum, there members make it as strong as it is.

Johnny
Former 1986 Newell -92-
Wichita,Ks