You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C

All,
I have used the above external surge protector for a few years. I plug it into a power post and it provides me with volts and amps per each leg. It tells me if the post is safe to use. Last Thursday evening it was plugged into a power post at Newell and was working appropriately. We had the four roof airs running, Aqua Hot was on, the water pump and auxiliary water pump was on and the dish washer was running. At some point during the night the coach stop receiving power. The refrigerator switched to the inverter, but the breaker for the refrigerator then trip. 
The readings from the Progressive Industries showed normal power at the post, but was not letting the electricity move to the coach. I found the breaker for the refrigerator and turned it back on. I started the generator and it showed normal operation. I then turned off the generator and waited a few minutes and plugged the 50 amp cord into the power poll. All of the electrical legs were working normally.
When we arrive at the storage unit I plugged the Progressive Industries into the 50 amp service and received a normal condition. I then plugged the 50 amp cord into the surge protector and now power went to the coach.  I unplugged the 50 amp cord from the surge protector and straight into the 50 amp outlet and power to the coach was provided.
Any thoughts on why the surge protector refused to allow power to the coach?
Why did the inverter breaker for the fridge trip?

Reese

Newell Coach 1242

Reese,

Did you happen to check to see if the EMS was displaying a fault code? It will shut the power off to your coach if the voltage drops too low or gets too high (E-3, E-4, E-5 or E-6).

Oscar & Janet Valent
Full timing
2004 Foretravel U320 3820 PBBS
2007 Newell Coach #815 - Great Coach Sold
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit

" I plug it into a power post and it provides me with volts and amps per each leg."

How many volts did each leg have and how many amps did it indicate you were using on each leg?  I have this info available inside my coach and monitor it closely.

"We had the four roof airs running, Aqua Hot was on, the water pump and auxiliary water pump was on and the dish washer was running."

Your description is somewhat vague.  You said the Aqua Hot was on--electric or diesel?  If on electric you would definitely be over 50 amps with four a/cs on.  Just my electric Aqua Hot accounts for over 20 amps on EACH leg. 

Were your four roof airs set on auto to go on & off as the set point is met?  Remember when air conditioners start up they jump up in amps to start, so could put you over 50 amps on start up.  Did you account for your battery charger that can use a lot of amps until float. 

I would guess that you overloaded at least one leg.

Steve Bare
1999 Newell 2 slide #531

Reese - I'll probably not answer your questions to your satisfaction, but I will mumble on a bit about how things should work.
I have at a PI power management system installed between the end of my shore power cord and the breaker box for several years. As you said, its job is to monitor the condition of the incoming power and pass in on only if it meets the requirements of the protection system. If it does not, the unit is programmed to let you know through a series of error codes. When initiated after a loss of power from the post or an interruption of that power by the device, it will display the last error code as well as the present condition.
It does not attempt to interrupt power due to too many amps drawn. That is the job of the breakers in the power post. I am surprised the breakers in the power post managed to stay in with all the loads you mentioned. I can only assume that all four of the roof airs were not compressing at the same time as you were washing dishes. I will also assume the AquaHot was on diesel, so not much of a factor in 120VAC loads.
The refrigerator breaker is there ( as are all breakers ) not to protect the refrigerator, but to protect the wiring between the breaker and the refrigerator from over heating the insulation and starting a fire. A properly working breaker should not trip unless the current through it is close to the rating of the breaker. Assuming the breaker was good, you managed to get close to its rating. One way this can happen is if the voltage at the panel falls well below nominal. As the voltage falls, the current increases to deliver the same power to a device. The PI should disconnect under low voltage conditions. But, it will store the error message and you should know when that happens. For now you might want to be careful how you manage your loads so as not to approach the 50A maximum of the power post. Hope some of this helps you or others reading the forum. Russ

Russ White
2016 Winnebago Vista LX 30T
#530  ( Sold )
1999 45' Double Slide - Factory upgrade 2004

I appreciate all of the responses that have been provided.

Oscar, 
 The code was E0 for normal operation.
Steve,
The Aqua Hot was on diesel.
The PI is not allowing power to flow to the 50 amp cable.

Thank You,
Reese 

Newell Coach 1242

Reese,

As I read your commentary, either I am reading conflicting statements or I am confused.

Right now does the PI pass power to the coach?

It is clear that it tripped at Newell and was not passing power at that time. It will trip when the voltage goes below a safe level.

If it is still not passing power, then you have an internal problem with the unit. You might try cleaning the contacts on its internal breaker.

Richard and Rhonda Entrekin
99 Newell, 512
Maverick Hybrid Toad
Inverness, FL (when we're home Cool )

Richard,
After the problem occurred at Newell the PI would not let the electricity flow to the 50 amp cord. In trying to diagnosis the problem at Newell I discontented the PI from the power post and the 50 amp cord from the PI. I reconnected the power post and received a normal reading. I then connected the 50 amp cord to the PI and then went into the coach to look at the energy readings. I was receiving no electricity into the coach. Next step that I took was to disconnect the 50 amp cord from the PI and connect the 50 amp cord directly into the power post. I went into the coach and it was receiving electricity. Also, turned on the generator and confirmed that we were getting energy from this source.
When we arrived at our storage unit that has 50 amps I went through the same process as I did at Newell. Again the PI would not allow energy to flow to the 50 amp cord. Thank you for responding to my question.
Reese

Reese, those PI devices can fail readily and often. I went through three of them in 18 months. Did you call PI and see what they have to say?

2008 Newell #1234
Boulder, CO

Nebster,
Thank you for your response. The information about your experience with PI is concerning. I thought that the PI device had a good reliability record. I have had this PI for over three years. I am calling PI today.

Reese

Newell Coach 1242

The real issue with them was moisture. The external models are by necessity exposed to rain, but for some reason they did not design them to a high enough incursion protection spec. I'm pretty sure all of my failures were traceable to water getting in at some point.

I think they have changed the design since the ones I had. Maybe the new one is better!

2008 Newell #1234
Boulder, CO